Dreamcast GD-ROM Drive Motor is dying?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

killer-elite
blackout!

Dreamcast GD-ROM Drive Motor is dying?

Post#1 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:09 pm

I have a Dreamcast that I purchased in 2006 that has had sporadic issues with its GD-ROM drive not spinning when I game is inserted. The disc does not spin fast enough, it turns but dies out after a second or two and does not get picked up by the GD-Rom Laser...A couple of times its been because of the lens being dirty and I also replaced it with a new one (which didn't fix the issue) that I still have as a spare. I've been looking at buying a replacement GD-Rom Samsung 3.3v Drive and a GD-EMU being I also have a NTSC/J console that has the same drive but does not spin due to the gd-rom motor being damaged from age/use? My question is is there a way to just replace the disc spindle motor (any links or guides to point me in the right direction), solder in a new on in its place, I ask being that a replacement tested/working used GD-Rom Drive is about $40 dollars USD and a GD-EMU is about $60 on Aliexpress... Also which version of GD-Emu is the best there are so many versions floating about that its kinda confusing trying to find the right clone that has the best compatibility for most games...

Dreamcazman
fire

Re: Dreamcast GD-ROM Drive Motor is dying?

Post#2 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:41 am

Shouldn't be a problem swapping the motor if you can find the same one, although it could be the electronics driving the motor that's the problem. Could be many hours work.

I suggest just go with a GDEMU, I have the older 5.15 model which is a few years old now and it works great, but there is a 5.20 which has the latest firmware if I'm not mistaken. Just improves some stability with some games.

xzer0PL
rebel

Post#3 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:52 pm

Hello my friendo! Your motor is ok. You need to change brushes inside motor, its costs nothing, few cents. Always you can change the motor, it will solve the problem. Change is easy. Just watch what you do. Dont use force.

killer-elite
blackout!

Post#4 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:27 am

xzer0PL wrote:Hello my friendo! Your motor is ok. You need to change brushes inside motor, its costs nothing, few cents. Always you can change the motor, it will solve the problem. Change is easy. Just watch what you do. Dont use force.

Do you have a video or a guide I can follow?? I would love the chance to try to fix it instead of it being scrapped for parts. Thank You.