Information on Blue Swirl hong kong dreamcast

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

delta gray
noob

Information on Blue Swirl hong kong dreamcast

Post#1 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:37 am

Hello I have managed to acquire a dreamcast, the seller has said it is from hong kong but I don't know anything about it, I have tryed to look it up but can't seem to find any information about it so I thought here would be the best place to ask, so do anyone know about them, it has a sticker on it that says ntsc without modem on it and a blank modem, I know sega was selling consoles in hong kong through 3rd parts but that About the extent of what I could find on them sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes (dyslexia) or if this is in the wrong sub
Attachments
20230213_153434.jpg
20230213_153348.jpg

Londinium
dirty sailor

Re: Information on Blue Swirl hong kong dreamcast

Post#2 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:05 am

It's strange seeing a blue DC logo shell on a NTSC machine.

According to this topic (http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/php ... 3cf98658a6), brmanuk (see reply #7) says:
I've lived in Hong Kong for the past year and a half and almost all of the used Dreamcasts I've seen do not have a modem. Instead they come with a plastic shell which is literally an empty modem case but without a phone line socket. These pictures are from my NTSC-J Dreamcast with the model number HKT-3010 which I bought here.

See original post for pictures.

Further along, they say:
I'm assuming it's official and that they didn't include modems because Hong Kong didn't officially go 'online'. Since being here I've never seen any Chinese localised Dreamcast games - all are either Jap or UK. As for the functioning modems...who knows?!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

delta gray
noob

Post#3 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:16 pm

Hey thanks, what is weird is that all blank modems I have seen online have had the plastic connector but this one doesn't and by the looks for it never has, the screw posts doesn't have threads

Londinium
dirty sailor

Post#4 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:35 pm

Probably a manufacturer thing. Maybe different factories would use different molds, but they all just wanted to achieve the same goal
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage