my gdemu isnt booting please help im stumped

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

dreamcast459
fire

my gdemu isnt booting please help im stumped

Post#1 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:15 pm

so i picked up a gdemu clone off of aliexpress, from a reputable seller who was recommended in a youtube video i was watching about the review of this gdemu clone. so i setup the sd card using a guide i found online, that tells me to use GDMENUCARDMANAGER alongside OPENMENU. heres my issue tho sometimes when i power on the dreamcast, the GDEMU boots to the gdmenu screen, and somtimes the GDEMU boots to a static dreamcast logo sit's there for what seems like forever then boots to the bios menu. i have been in contact with the seller and hes been amazing at helping me out he even asked me if i could email him videos of the problem anyone got an ideas?

below is a picture of the GDEMU as well as two videos showing the issue im facing. now before anyone asks i have tried both with and without the sd card extender and get the same results
Attachments
Optical-Drive-Simulation-Board-v5-20-5-20-3-GDEMU-for-Dreamcast-DC-VA1-Console-SD.jpg_Q90.jpg_.jpg

[ Play Quicktime file ] IMG_1691.mp4 [ 16.38 MiB | Viewed 5808 times ]

[ Play Quicktime file ] IMG_1690.mp4 [ 16.41 MiB | Viewed 5808 times ]

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: my gdemu isnt booting please help im stumped

Post#2 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:49 pm

gdemu_good_bad.png

Hows the connector? sometimes they can be a weird fit.

dreamcast459
fire

Post#3 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:39 pm

deluxux wrote:gdemu_good_bad.png

Hows the connector? sometimes they can be a weird fit.

heres the link to the one i bought looks like it uses the longer and proper connector https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568032 ... _shipto=US

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#4 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:48 am

Look at the actual one you have not the listing, It's probably just not making a good connection.
Erase everything and just have a single folder named "01" and put a known working CDI/GDI in, this will bypass the menu system for testing.
Are you using the TOSEC romset? Redump doesn't work with gdemu.
Maybe try another SD card? Try an older full size SD card or something from a generic brand, are you using an ultra speed SD? I've heard rumors about the latest micro SD cards have some advanced firmware...

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#5 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:07 am

Try connecting the gdemu without the black plastic mount. Try it without the sd card extender.
Last edited by MoeFoh on Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

megavolt85
Developer

Post#6 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:18 am

1) connect SD card directly to GDEMU for test
2) if you use a microSD card, then the problem is most likely in the adapter, I changed 100500 adapters and eventually switched to using SD cards

darius
shadow

Post#7 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:49 am

does the dreamcast have its original bios? or an improved bios?

is the dreamcast VA1?

dreamcast459
fire

Post#8 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:34 am

darius wrote:does the dreamcast have its original bios? or an improved bios?

is the dreamcast VA1?

as far as im aware stock bios and it has a 1 in the circle this dreamcast had no issues reading burnt games before the disk drive died and i tossed in the gdemu