im stumped GDEMU issues

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

dreamcast459
fire

Re: im stumped GDEMU issues

Post#21 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:46 pm

MoeFoh wrote:
dreamcast459 wrote:
MoeFoh wrote:
Progress. :D

Here's my setup for openMenu builds. Maybe try it on the 256GB card and report back the results. Don't forget to format the card first with Rufus. And remember CDI support is a WIP with openMenu and it does not support Code Breaker.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/f96hlhki ... nu.7z/file

heres the strange thing is i format the sd card with rufus then use gdmenu card maker without openmenu installed the sd card boots to the gdmenu and loads games however if i load openmenu alongside dat files and asset files the sd card wont boot so at least i got it working

Make a small openMenu build as a test: https://www.mediafire.com/file/f96hlhki ... nu.7z/file
Download and unzip my openMenu setup to a new directory and run it. Do not change anything in the setup, it's all set. Report your results back.

sorry for the late reply been dealing with some health issues anyhow

using gdmenu card manager i am able to get the gdemu to see the games on the sd card its a 256 gig sandisk extreme, some games boot to there perspective start screens and seem to play fine some games boot to a frozen DC swirl followed by going to the dc bios menu below are pics of what im using with the gdemu. please advise what i should do i cant return the gdemu as usps wants 100$ to return it to china
Attachments
sandisk-extreme-micro-sdxc-memory-card-256gb-32777561669828_1500x.jpg
3-Pcs-Kingston-Micro-SD-Adapter-Mini-Card-Micro-SD-TF-To-Memory-Stick-SD-Card.jpg

dreamcast459
fire

Post#22 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:49 pm

MoeFoh wrote:
dreamcast459 wrote:
MoeFoh wrote:

Here's my setup for openMenu builds. Maybe try it on the 256GB card and report back the results. Don't forget to format the card first with Rufus. And remember CDI support is a WIP with openMenu and it does not support Code Breaker.

heres the strange thing is i format the sd card with rufus then use gdmenu card maker without openmenu installed the sd card boots to the gdmenu and loads games however if i load openmenu alongside dat files and asset files the sd card wont boot so at least i got it working

Make a small openMenu build as a test: https://www.mediafire.com/file/f96hlhki ... nu.7z/file
Download and unzip my openMenu setup to a new directory and run it. Do not change anything in the setup, it's all set. Report your results back.

i just saw your post i downloaded your openmenu thing give me an hour and ill test it out

dreamcast459
fire

Post#23 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:08 am

MoeFoh wrote:
dreamcast459 wrote:
MoeFoh wrote:
Start from scratch following post #6 and report back. What brand are your sd cards? I had random crashes until I switched to full-sized Sandisk or Samsung cards.

the 32gig card is a samsung evo plus the 256 gig card is a red and brown sandisk extreme both are micro sd cards using micro sd to sd adapters if it matters

I've heard of issues with Sandisk Extreme, older models from Sandisk work fine. That could be the issue. I've used Evos and they work fine.

Edit: Just checked - I've been using Sandisk Ultra and Samsung Evo Select - mostly full-sized cards. But I have used micro cards with these two brands with adapters successfully.

ok i am completely stumped i followed your instructions to a T, i used your copy of GD MENU CARD MANAGER & copied each game one at a time into the program. clicked save changes and waited for it to finish. i made no changes as you instructed, powered up the GDEMU and boom she boots to the openmenu screen. but heres what has me stumped some games boot to to there perspective in-game menu while some games boot to a static swirl then end up at the DC bios menu and when i click the controller it says insert disk

dreamcast459
fire

Post#24 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:09 am

i have never seen anything like it this was the 256 gig sd card so no idea whats goin on

dreamcast459
fire

Post#25 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:47 am

MoeFoh wrote:
dreamcast459 wrote:
MoeFoh wrote:

so i put the sd card back in my computer opened up your openmenu build and got this error
Attachments
Screenshot (258).png

dreamcast459
fire

Post#26 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:48 am

those are also the folders that booted to the DC bios menu appon starting the game from openmenu
Attachments
Screenshot (259).png

dreamcast459
fire

Post#27 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:39 am

MoeFoh wrote:
dreamcast459 wrote:
MoeFoh wrote:
I've heard of issues with Sandisk Extreme, older models from Sandisk work fine. That could be the issue. I've used Evos and they work fine.

Edit: Just checked - I've been using Sandisk Ultra and Samsung Evo Select - mostly full-sized cards. But I have used micro cards with these two brands with adapters successfully.

moefoh not sure whats goin on heres a link to the guide i was originally using to setup my gdemu sd card https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comm ... _openmenu/

you can see in the guide where it says (Extract contents of the asset pack zip file to tools/menu_data/ where you installed GD MENU Card Manager. The .DAT files should live right next to 1ST_READ.BIN.) well anyhow i did what you said i installed ruufus formatted the micro sd card 128 gig to 32k clusters for some reason it didnt like 64k clusters i then downloaded the gdmenu card manager you linked me to i opened it and used it un modified meaning i didnt copy the assets or anything i loaded about 101 gigs worth of games and what do you no she boots to the menu and loads my games no idea whats goin on ima test it a few days to be sure tho

heres a short video i took showing what happens when i power on the gdemu i figured this video would be better than a long ass paragraph

you might have to download it as its in vlc format

quick edit i have tried the gdemu both with and without the sd card extender as well as without the 3d printed mount and still get the same issue as in the video
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] IMG_1691.mp4 [ 16.38 MiB | Viewed 2475 times ]

bingobongo
minority

Post#28 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:48 am

On my clone PCB I think I spotted some not-so-great soldering near one of the pins - that was what I concluded might have been responsible.

Check the solder pins around the chips and see if there are two pins touching.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#29 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:01 am

dreamcast459 wrote:those are also the folders that booted to the DC bios menu appon starting the game from openmenu

damn it looks like your micro sd card is a shitty fake with gigabits instead of gigabytes.
so that you understand what I'm talking about, 256 gigabits / 8 = 32 gigabytes.
try to download no more than 20 games and see if it works.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#30 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:51 am

Is this card from eBay? Tons of counterfeit Sandisk there.

The 128GB card is working properly, yes?
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski