im stumped GDEMU issues

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

dreamcast459
dark night

im stumped GDEMU issues

Post#1 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:20 am

so i bought a gdemu clone 5.20. & im using the latest version of gdmenu card manager to load up my sd card. so i tried a fully loaded 32 gig micro sd card with open menu, and sure enough the gdemu boots to the menu and loads sonic adventure no problem. so i then tried a fully loaded 128 as well as a fully loaded 256 gig micro sd card, and the gdemu sits there at the swirl logo before loading the dreamcast bios menu wont boot to the open menu at all. if it matters i have 136 games loaded on both the 128 and 256 gig cards all in .gdi format except for folder 01 which has the menu so i had a thought what would happen if i took the 256 gig card cand only loaded 20 games onto it and what do you know she boots up to open menu seems rather strange that my gdemu is being picky in terms of how many games/folders are on the SD card

any ideas why this is happening

dubcity
Super Sonic

Re: im stumped GDEMU issues

Post#2 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:42 am

Are you using todec gdi files? Are you also adding cdi files? Files from redump do not work and cdi files sometimes throw the menu off.

dreamcast459
dark night

Post#3 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:10 am

the only cdi file im using is in folder one and its the gdmenu all of my games are tosec gdi files i messaged the seller he wants me to send it back to him and in return he will send me an updated unit i have asked the seller if he can test the new unit before he sends it to me so we shall see what happens

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#4 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:35 pm

Have you given the power supply pins a good cleaning?
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

bingobongo
minority

Post#5 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:02 pm

I had similar problems with mine (identical even)

When I finally got it working okay I just left it. I'm not using it to store games, just putting the ones (4 or 5) that I want to play at the moment. There's no way I'd trust my GDEmu with a 'vast library' of games - it will just do all of the above that you've described - 100%. My one is not stable at all.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#6 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:31 pm

I've set up many cards with this method:
Format card: https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comm ... mat_rufus/

Create card: GDMENU Card Manager (attached). 128GB card or higher use 64k cluster size.

Keep things simple if you are having issues. Don't use openMenu and don't shrink the GDI's. You can drag and drop your files into Card Manager to save time, then sort by name.

My gdemu is on firmware v5.15. I'm not sure if the newer v5.20.3 could be the cause of any issues.
Attachments
GDMENU Card Manager v1.3.5-win-x64.zip
GDMENU Card Manager
(6.8 MiB) Downloaded 102 times
Last edited by MoeFoh on Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

dreamcast459
dark night

Post#7 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:54 pm

yup psu pins cleaning with 70% alcohol isoprolply

dreamcast459
dark night

Post#8 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:11 pm

MoeFoh wrote:I've set up many cards with this method:

Create card: GDMENU Card Manager (attached). 128GB card or higher use 64k cluster size.

Keep things simple if you are having issues. Don't use OpenMenu and don't shrink the GDI's. You can drag and drop your files into Card Manager to save time, then sort by name.

My gdemu is on firmware v5.15. I'm not sure if the newer v5.20.3 could be the cause of any issues.

moeFoh the issue im having is the gdemu has no issues with my 32 gig card as far as i can tell but my 128 gig card loaded with more then 3 games
it refuses to boot. another issue im having is the gdmenu card manager errors out and says there is an error in the gdi keep in mind these are all tosec rips in gdi format

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#9 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:32 pm

dreamcast459 wrote:

Keep things simple if you are having issues. Don't use OpenMenu and don't shrink the GDI's. You can drag and drop your files into Card Manager to save time, then sort by name.

moeFoh the issue im having is the gdemu has no issues with my 32 gig card as far as i can tell but my 128 gig card loaded with more then 3 games
it refuses to boot. another issue im having is the gdmenu card manager errors out and says there is an error in the gdi keep in mind these are all tosec rips in gdi format

Start from scratch following post #6 and report back. What brand are your sd cards? I had random crashes until I switched to full-sized Sandisk Ultra or Samsung EVO Select cards.
Last edited by MoeFoh on Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Charles Bukowski

dreamcast459
dark night

Post#10 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:46 pm

MoeFoh wrote:
dreamcast459 wrote:

Start from scratch following post #6 and report back. What brand are your sd cards? I had random crashes until I switched to full-sized Sandisk or Samsung cards.

the 32gig card is a samsung evo plus the 256 gig card is a red and brown sandisk extreme both are micro sd cards using micro sd to sd adapters if it matters