DC top quality on NTSC CRT TV set?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

xaeroxcore
fire

DC top quality on NTSC CRT TV set?

Post#1 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:44 pm

Hello everyone!!!

I have a little doubt and may be you guys can help me....

I play on my 2000s CRT TV with component input all the non HD stuff, and PS2, OG Xbox, GCN and Wii look really great via component! For me its the top quaility image from those consoles, even above play with them @ 480p on a LED TV.

I want to achieve the same with my DC....Yes, i have a VGA Box, some years ago i had a CRT monitor and i know that quality is unrivaled, but sadly now i cant have a CRT Monitor, due lack of space, so i need to take advantage of the only CRT TV i have room for, and play DC on muy 4K is not an option....

So, i have seen some solutions on amazon and ebay, but im not sure if they can deliver a greater image quality on a CRT component TV:

Check this one:

This a RGBS/VGA to Component converter

And this one

This is a DC component cable, but looks suspicious

So, long story short, what do you think about those? reliable solution? or better not to waste time and money with any of these and just try to make room for a CRT Monitor? or wait for a real DC component solution, like the one promised by retrovision years ago, finally got released? Or may be just get over it and deal with it and just stand a subpar image quality on my DC, compared with the the rest of 128 bit consoles?

megavolt85
Developer

Re: DC top quality on NTSC CRT TV set?

Post#2 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:14 am

any converter makes a difference in picture quality, if you really want maximum quality, then you need a VGA monitor.

P.S. Wii through VGA looks much prettier than through the component, the colors are more saturated.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:17 am

s-vid is incredible, the last system to *pop* on it

But long ago I got a Naki in box, it was the connector alone but it was maybe as ass as composhit. I got the official HKT and it damn sings but shouldn't be unmatched or not outdone

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/Com ... cable-480p retrotink beat HDRetrovision
Last edited by mistamontiel on Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xaeroxcore
fire

Post#4 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:29 pm

mistamontiel wrote:s-vid is incredible, the last system to *pop* on it

But long ago I got a Naki in box, it was the connector alone but it was maybe as ass as composhit. I got the official HKT and it damn sings but shouldn't be unmatched or outdone

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/Com ... cable-480p retrotink beat HDRetrovision

That cable looks mint!

The thing is, will it work with a 480i set?

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:56 pm

Is it called retrotink er packapunch lol

I don't know why it says 240p+576i/480p switch, I think that means it ought to just do 480i? Ask em