GDemu +12 volt, disable or not???

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Andrew
shadow

GDemu +12 volt, disable or not???

Post#1 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:41 pm

Hello, I am very confused about this issue since there is conflicting information. The general consensus online is that +12 volt should be disabled when gdrom is removed, since it would cause excess heat with the gdrom removed. However the person I am buying my dreamcast from has told me that it is not necessary to disable the 12 volt, because the excess heat is caused by insufficient airflow, and that adding an sd card mount solves the airflow problem since it is the same shape as the gdrom.

He said that if the customer didn't order an sd card mount with the system, he would use a dummy load on the 12v to dissipate the heat, but because i have ordered the sd card mount it is not needed. Should I be satisfied with this explanation? Another thing is I am going to be using a Kaico adapter with the system which apparently requires the 12 volt to be enabled to work. Would adding a dummy load prevent the kaico adapter from working for some reason?

Xiden
Developer

Re: GDemu +12 volt, disable or not???

Post#2 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:24 pm

This is what I recommend doing. Its super easy and cheap, no soldering required.

https://youtu.be/MVKN3pQ11wM

Andrew
shadow

Post#3 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:58 pm

Xiden wrote:This is what I recommend doing. Its super easy and cheap, no soldering required.

Thanks for the suggestion, would the kaico adapter still work with that added?

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:06 pm

Andrew wrote:
Xiden wrote:This is what I recommend doing. Its super easy and cheap, no soldering required.

If you're using something that utilizes that rail then you probably dont need any modifications at all. The point of the mod was to keep a load on the rail to keep heat down, but if the kaico addon uses it at all times then nothing should be changed.

Andrew
shadow

Post#5 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:13 pm

Xiden wrote:
Andrew wrote:

If you're using something that utilizes that rail then you probably dont need any modifications at all. The point of the mod was to keep a load on the rail to keep heat down, but if the kaico addon uses it at all times then nothing should be changed.

This post on dreamcast junkyard facebook says a resistor should still be added, so i don't know what to believe:

''The Kaico HDMI adapter REQUIRES a 12V line to get video to output. So don't remove the voltage regulator (it's a specific transistor on the PSU) that the Internet LOVES to tell you to remove if you have an ODE like the GDEMU or the USB-GDROM. Just put a 330 Ohm or equivalent resistance onto the PSU between the 12V pin and ground.
This will save you the headache of having to add the voltage regulator back. Kaico can't be the only company using that 12V line, so it's best to not prank yourself in the process of being the person discovering you could have prevented your troubles by buying a resistor and avoiding desoldering altogether.''

https://www.facebook.com/groups/thedrea ... 6084165865

Xiden
Developer

Post#6 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:23 pm

Andrew wrote:
Xiden wrote:
Andrew wrote:

This post on dreamcast junkyard facebook says a resistor should still be added, so i don't know what to believe:

''The Kaico HDMI adapter REQUIRES a 12V line to get video to output. So don't remove the voltage regulator (it's a specific transistor on the PSU) that the Internet LOVES to tell you to remove if you have an ODE like the GDEMU or the USB-GDROM. Just put a 330 Ohm or equivalent resistance onto the PSU between the 12V pin and ground.
This will save you the headache of having to add the voltage regulator back. Kaico can't be the only company using that 12V line, so it's best to not prank yourself in the process of being the person discovering you could have prevented your troubles by buying a resistor and avoiding desoldering altogether.''

They are referring to the voltage regulator. Which some have suggested to remove as a fix.

Now that I have a better understanding.. yes, do add the 330 Ohm resistor as shown in the video I linked and youll be all set.

Andrew
shadow

Post#7 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:29 pm

Xiden wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Xiden wrote:

They are referring to the voltage regulator. Which some have suggested to remove as a fix.

Now that I have a better understanding.. yes, do add the 330 Ohm resistor as shown in the video I linked and youll be all set.

So is that 330 ohm resistor what the seller was referring to when he mentioned a ''dummy load''?

Xiden
Developer

Post#8 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:10 pm

Andrew wrote:
Xiden wrote:
Andrew wrote:

So is that 330 ohm resistor what the seller was referring to when he mentioned a ''dummy load''?

Yeah that's one way to describe it.

Andrew
shadow

Post#9 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:16 pm

Xiden wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Xiden wrote:

Yeah that's one way to describe it.

Thanks, you've been very helpful.