OEM Controller D-PAD Mod

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

MoeFoh
Uber

OEM Controller D-PAD Mod

Post#1 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:56 pm

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

streeker
fragger

Re: OEM Controller D-PAD Mod

Post#2 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:20 pm

I just tried that and I gotta say... it works surprisingly well!

For those of you living in Europe: a 20 (Euro) Cent coin is the one, that fits perfectly!

I guess, something similar in 3D printed form could be a little more "pleasing" to the fingertip. Hope that someone comes up with that and puts it on eBay or so. I'd probably buy that :)

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#3 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:16 pm

I was gonna say, it probably wouldn't be too much effort to chop up/sand down the existing D-pad and glue a spare circular one on top of it. Or even 3D design/print a new D-pad piece entirely.

It's interesting that this should come up now. I bought my 4th official Dreamcast controller at the weekend, and I've noticed the D-pad seems to be much less mushy than those on my other controllers. I haven't tested the D-pad with a game yet, but I imagine it would be noticeably more responsive.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#4 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:06 pm

OlivusPrime wrote:I was gonna say, it probably wouldn't be too much effort to chop up/sand down the existing D-pad and glue a spare circular one on top of it. Or even 3D design/print a new D-pad piece entirely.

It's interesting that this should come up now. I bought my 4th official Dreamcast controller at the weekend, and I've noticed the D-pad seems to be much less mushy than those on my other controllers. I haven't tested the D-pad with a game yet, but I imagine it would be noticeably more responsive.

The SHAKS S5b controller offers a d-pad change option:
Attachments
shaks-dpad.png
Last edited by MoeFoh on Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

DreamCasting
dark night

Post#5 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:06 am

I did two things to mine:

- added a rubber cap to the analog stick - improves comfort and grip for use with thumb

- glued (with two small strips of double sided adhesive tape) a piece to the d-pad which allows many sticks to be attached:

Resized_20230329_091327.jpeg

Resized_20230329_091410.jpeg

Resized_20230329_091454.jpeg

Resized_20230329_091537.jpeg

I got those from a PSX multi-stick kits.
Some are better than others.
It changes the height and increases travel a bit but it works. :roll:

I have the "coin" adapter but I currently placed it on the d-pad of a vintage quickshot joystick.

Resized_20230329_092022.jpeg

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#6 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:40 am

As much as I love the DC itself, I just cannot use the official controller anymore. The D-pad is the least of it's problems.

I use an Xbox One controller nowadays.