Run GDMenu + OpenMenu at the same time?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ItalianGrandma
undertow

Run GDMenu + OpenMenu at the same time?

Post by ItalianGrandma »

I’m new to this whole scene, so forgive me if I don’t know some obvious things, but I was wondering if it’s possible to run openMenu and GDMenu off of the same SD card? If so, how can that be accomplished?

My thought was that I could switch to GDMenu for the games that won’t load with openMenu.
deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: Run GDMenu + OpenMenu at the same time?

Post by deluxux »

I don't think that's possible but maybe if you put gdMENU.cdi in folder 02 with openmenu the default, might load but will have long loading times.(?) I don't think you could do it the other way around! Do some testing let us know!
ItalianGrandma
undertow

Post by ItalianGrandma »

deluxux wrote:I don't think that's possible but maybe if you put gdMENU.cdi in folder 02 with openmenu the default, might load but will have long loading times.(?) I don't think you could do it the other way around! Do some testing let us know!
I actually did have this thought as well…It makes sense that the load time would be pretty long, though, especially since I have over 400 titles :lol:

Perhaps I’ll give it a try and report back!
galaxygod
core

Post by galaxygod »

wouldnt the card manager program still ignore the roms? thats what happens when i try adding xeno crisis and xenocider to my openmenu card
deluxux
Black Mesa

Post by deluxux »

you might need "image_tests = 0" in the gdemu.ini file
ItalianGrandma
undertow

Post by ItalianGrandma »

galaxygod wrote:wouldnt the card manager program still ignore the roms? thats what happens when i try adding xeno crisis and xenocider to my openmenu card
~~Well, the version of GDMenuManager that works with openEmu is a forked version that’s slightly different than the version that works with GDMenu (to my understanding). I’m pretty sure adding Xenocider CDI works with the version made for GDMenu. I’ll double check shortly..~~

Edit: Oh I actually misread this. I get what you’re saying. Hmmmm, yeah I’d have to get the game to still show up in the GDMenu. Almost like I need to set up identical sd cards with each manager (minus cdi games on the openemu card) and then move over the gdmenu disc and config files over from that card over to my openemu card and set gdmenu as the second disc and copy the cdi folders manually to the openemu card :?:

Edit 2: Now that I think about it, there’ll probably be a conflict if I load GDMenu because openMenu would be inside of folder 01
Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

Some times simple is best have 2 sd cards there not like there really expensive..
ItalianGrandma
undertow

Post by ItalianGrandma »

That’s true, I probably have a micro sd laying laying around that I could use as my CDI card.
sonik
Developer

Post by sonik »

Good to see you around here, ItalianGrandma! I hope you're having a good time.

I have not tested, but one option is to use openMenu as the default menu (folder 01) and gdmenu on folder 02.
Use a manager to put games and write the openmenu specific files.
And let gdemenu load the files directly from the card. Will be slow, but if you only need it for a few games, it will be fine.

Also, check out this version of my app. It let's you choose if want to use gdmenu or openmenu as the main menu on the card.
https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... 20#p173181
It also have some fixes that are not on the "public" version yet.
EDF! EDF! EDF!
MoeFoh
Uber

Post by MoeFoh »

You'll be much happier using two separate cards. OpenMenu for the supported GDI's and GDMENU for a fast loading menu of CDI's and others images not working in OpenMenu. Plus, you get Code Breaker support with GDMENU.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski