Video noise after installing DreamPSU

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

VictorM
shadow

Video noise after installing DreamPSU

Post#1 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:34 pm

Hello ,i have a pal console with gdemu , iv ordered a DreamPSU from bitfunxk but i notice a slightly noise on video after upgrading, iv put back the old psu and its gone, anyone know how to get rid of this? maybe i just keep the old psu instead if cant solve it.

Thanks.

ItalianGrandma
undertow

Re: Video noise after installing DreamPSU

Post#2 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:20 pm

Are you using a power brick that Bitfunx provided with the DreamPSU? It might work better if you use a higher quality power supply that is 12v5a…I think the ones that Bitfunx sells are 12v3a.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#3 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:47 pm

ItalianGrandma wrote:Are you using a power brick that Bitfunx provided with the DreamPSU? It might work better if you use a higher quality power supply that is 12v5a…I think the ones that Bitfunx sells are 12v3a.

Grandma is correct. A higher quality 12v adapter UL Listed will fix the noise issue. Noise supression on the DreamPSU itself is non-existent, unfortunately. They're using the reference design.
Last edited by MoeFoh on Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

VictorM
shadow

Post#4 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:32 pm

I bought one but still having issues, will try another of better quality. Thanks.

ItalianGrandma
undertow

Post#5 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:36 pm

VictorM wrote:I bought one but still having issues, will try another of better quality. Thanks.

I bought this one as recommended by Laser Bear Industries: https://a.co/d/fhgsruG

It seems really sturdy and well made. I used it briefly with my dreampsu, but I was using it via composite on a CRT so if there was any noise, I may not have noticed. My friend actually removed the 12v from my stock PSU today, so I switched back to that.

CrashMidnick
blackout!

Post#6 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:21 pm

VictorM
shadow

Post#7 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:04 pm

Thank you all, i tried to switch to original PSU and using 1k resistors but still getting very hot, i hope i can find solution for the china dreampsu, if not will try another solution. Thanks

VictorM
shadow

Post#8 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:14 pm

This is exactly the problem i have by the way.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comm ... laying_on/

Thanks all.

CrashMidnick
blackout!

Post#9 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:26 pm

Again, this is a PSU problem. Try one from the links above.

Metro City
lithium

Post#10 » Sat May 20, 2023 5:25 am

I too have a DreamPSU, it worked for a few months, now when I turn on the DC I see the black screen with no video, I connected an hdmi cable that the led does not light up, surely it is the power supply that is not powerful enough, I solved it by putting an original 220v power supply now it's great!!!