VGA VS S-Video: Do I still need S Video?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

tripletopper
blackout!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Alien Front Online
Chu Chu Rocket
Maximum Pool
Ooga Booga
Next Tetris
Sega Swirl
Worms World Party

VGA VS S-Video: Do I still need S Video?

Post by tripletopper »

At first the answer I thought to the question in the topic was no except for literally one class of cases, that being light gun games on a real back in the day CRT TV.

Then I noticed something when I played Mortal Kombat gold for some reason in VGA came up as an error.

I assume the main reason for this is because Mortal Kombat gold is necessarily interlaced and most VGA monitors don't do interlaced video.

I noticed DCX sometimes lets you turn on "VGA mode" even on a domestic disc, but some very unknown yet specific problem I forgot about a long time ago came up when I did that.

So what games do I still need an S-Video cable for? (other than the light gun games to shoot at the zombies.). What do I need to know when I use this VGA workaround with dcx or something similar?

Are there any modern retro Brew download games that require S-Video or do they all work with VGA?

And I'll ask this one off topic question now because I don't want to flood the dreamvast talk board with me....

If I want to buy a legitimate version of a download Dreamcast ROM for a retrobrew game, is there a place where I could do that to support the creators of the game?

Also once I get the Dreamcast online Network working with my broadband how do I support the network? I know the website only has units of $10 because if you were to pay $1 I understand too much of it gets taken in PayPal fees and it would just be me worthlessly spinning my wheels and tou guys getting nothing, so would it be okay to pay $10 twice a year so it would be comparable to something like the Nintendo switch online service?

Finally, because I witnessed in the actual time when the Dreamcast was actually around, the service went for being a totally free service to paying for Sega net and then back to totally free service then maybe you could do something with the server so that you could put in some text advertising when you first load game that could partially pay for the service so you don't have to give up being a volunteer service and also add value to their $10 by advertising their product/service of interest to the Dreamcast Online community. It might be enough impetus to get people who normally wouldn't pay for the service to pay for advertising on the service which would indirectly pays for the service.
mistamontiel
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Errythan except Tetris o.0

Re: VGA VS S-Video: Do I still need S Video?

Post by mistamontiel »

Mortal Kombat 4 had a reprint a rerelease that allows the VGA signal

s-vid rules on Dreamcast the last system that sings on that. For a while I had a new Naki brand one but it was hardly even no upgrade, I ponied up for the OEM the official and very delish
mistamontiel
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Errythan except Tetris o.0

Post by mistamontiel »

I forgot to add you can lightgun in VGA as long as it's boobtube a CRT
Mkk_hanzo
rebel

Post by Mkk_hanzo »

mistamontiel wrote:Mortal Kombat 4 had a reprint a rerelease that allows the VGA signal

s-vid rules on Dreamcast the last system that sings on that. For a while I had a new Naki brand one but it was hardly even no upgrade, I ponied up for the OEM the official and very delish
I have S-Video cables for my OG Xbox, PS3 and even Xbox 360 just saying. But yeah S Video on DC is another level on a CRT.
MikeStutzzzz
Outrun
Dreamcast Games you play Online: I Love Playing all dreamcast games.
But im pretty boss at:
MvC2, Etc

Post by MikeStutzzzz »

S Video is really good if your CRT supports Component get Component
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482