Some basic DreamShell, RetroDream and Bleemcast questions

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Sephiroth
shadow

Some basic DreamShell, RetroDream and Bleemcast questions

Post by Sephiroth »

1. What is the deal with RetroDream.cdi image and what is it for? The last time I remember the RetroDream was booted by DreamShell boot loader and placing correct (RetroDream) files on SD card or IDE HDD. So what is this RetroDream.cdi for?
2. What are the correct way and settings for burning DreamShell? I tried burning DreamShell RC5 boot loader with imgburn and it does not work (after booting Dreamcast logo it goes straight to console menu settings).
3. What are the correct way and settings for burning those hacked CD images of retail bleemcast?

lupus666
noob
Dreamcast Games you play Online: none

Re: Some basic DreamShell, RetroDream and Bleemcast questions

Post by lupus666 »

I got DreamShell RC5 working burning the other image (I don’t remember its name, but it’s in the same Zip.) When I burned the boot loader, it went straight to the menu, like yours.

MastaG
Quad Damage

Re: Some basic DreamShell, RetroDream and Bleemcast questions

Post by MastaG »

1. RetroDream is basically a custom gui for DreamShell for easily starting your games.
I don't know if it was updated to run on version rc5 of DreamShell though.
2. I don't know. My dreamcast has a custom bios which will automatically boot DreamShell from IDE drive.
3. Bleemcast can only run from cd-r and gdemu. Afaik it was never fully hacked to run from DreamShell's iso loader.