Is a line-voltage inducer absolutely nessasary for dreampi to work?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

EskiM0JOJ0
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Chu Chu rocket

Is a line-voltage inducer absolutely nessasary for dreampi to work?

Post by EskiM0JOJ0 »

Disclaimer: new to dc modding and homebrew.

I've put together my own DreamPi kit using parts that should work according to the dreamcast live website (Raspberry pi 3, 32GB microsd card flashed with DreamPi 1.8 DLE, a Dell External 56k USB Modem adapter, and regular Ethernet/phone cables). My console is a V1 japanese import, and I replaced the included modem with a 670-14140A modem from a US console. I get both green lights on the USB modem adapter, but can't get any dial tone, so the only explanation has to be it's somehow not getting enough power, and I need a line-voltage adapter, right?
dromdnb
Anarki
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, Quake 3 Arena, Maximum Pool, Worms World Party, The Next Tetris, ChuChu Rocket, 4x4 Evolution

Re: Is a line-voltage inducer absolutely nessasary for dreampi to work?

Post by dromdnb »

You dont. Do you have setup your Dreamcast with a browser like XDP or Dreamkey 3.0?
it's still thinking...
SEGA RPG FAN
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO
Quake III
Starlancer
Alien Front Online
Chu Chu Rocket

Post by SEGA RPG FAN »

You need line voltage. Even if you have one of the DC modems that doesn't, the USB modem still does
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast
Xiden
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All the DC games!!

Post by Xiden »

EskiM0JOJ0 wrote:Disclaimer: new to dc modding and homebrew.

I've put together my own DreamPi kit using parts that should work according to the dreamcast live website (Raspberry pi 3, 32GB microsd card flashed with DreamPi 1.8 DLE, a Dell External 56k USB Modem adapter, and regular Ethernet/phone cables). My console is a V1 japanese import, and I replaced the included modem with a 670-14140A modem from a US console. I get both green lights on the USB modem adapter, but can't get any dial tone, so the only explanation has to be it's somehow not getting enough power, and I need a line-voltage adapter, right?
If you're using a usb modem to raspberry pi you must use a line voltage inducer. You can get one premade here or he may even be able to upgrade the one you purchased provided its the correct one https://dreamcastlive.net/shop/
dromdnb
Anarki
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, Quake 3 Arena, Maximum Pool, Worms World Party, The Next Tetris, ChuChu Rocket, 4x4 Evolution

Post by dromdnb »

I was wrong, sorry. You need line voltage inducer.
it's still thinking...
OatBob
MegaDeath

Post by OatBob »

While installing inside the modem is convenient for regular use; however, I find testing modem can be done with a separate line-voltage inducer.

Dragoncity17's design uses USB power without requiring a battery. The design involves beginner-level soldering with no risk of damaging a useful component. It's certainly worth checking out the tutorial and deciding if you are capbable of this DIY solution.

https://dragoncity17.wordpress.com/2017 ... c-dreampi/
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.