10% overclock worth it?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Panja0
lithium

10% overclock worth it?

Post by Panja0 »

I'm in doubt if I will be performing the 10% overclock mod or not.

Is it worth the trouble?
I've read that some game in the cut scenes can run out of sync with the audio?

iron_chief
rebel

Re: 10% overclock worth it?

Post by iron_chief »

Yes. Not a massive improvement, but definitely noticeable in most games. Especially with loading times. Even with my meager soldering skills it wasn't that hard to perform. A desolderer is a must though.

Don't bother with the 20% though. Never had a fully stable retail game. But all Atomswave games work great, but not huge enough to be worth it imo.

Panja0
lithium

Post by Panja0 »

iron_chief wrote:Yes. Not a massive improvement, but definitely noticeable in most games. Especially with loading times. Even with my meager soldering skills it wasn't that hard to perform. A desolderer is a must though.

Don't bother with the 20% though. Never had a fully stable retail game. But all Atomswave games work great, but not huge enough to be worth it imo.
Thanks for sharing!
Do you notice any games that run out of sync (cut scenes)?

iron_chief
rebel

Post by iron_chief »

No, not at all with the 10%. Full stability with everything I threw at it.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

I tried a 10% overclock once and didn't notice any difference at all. Although I didn't test many games. Made no difference in Unreal Tournament as far as framerate goes.

Word of warning though, any overclock will break the Dreamcast's serial port. I did the mod on my IDE-modded Dreamcast which boots DreamShell from the serial SD reader and it wouldn't boot after the overclock. I reverted it back because of that.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live