Dreampi - Root Account Locked?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

The_Larax
Fancy Pants Admin

Dreampi - Root Account Locked?

Post by The_Larax »

I have a Pi 1 B + and am using a 32GB Integral SD card. My modem is an official Dell Conexant.

When I plug my pi into a monitor, I get this line:
'Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked. See sulogin(8) man page for more details.'

I have tried booting up dreampi 1.8 and 1.7 multiple times and have reflashed and downloaded 1.8 twice with the same issue. When I click on the disk image on my laptop it says that it's corrupted, but I don't know if it should do that on a working copy or not- I'd take a guess that it shouldn't. Sometimes when I put the SD card back in my laptop i get the notification that it needs fixing, but when I do it tells me it found no issues. I'm pretty sure that the first time I flashed Dreampi over through Win32DiskImager the SD card got corrupted, but I think it's OK now? I now use the official raspberry pi imager instead as it seems less likely to corrupt things.

I don't know how to directly fix the code myself at the moment as I don't currently have access to a USB keyboard and ssh isn't working- the Pi came up on my router's devices one of the first times I set it up but doesn't show up anymore. It's not an issue with the cable as I tested it with my laptop. I have a spare unused 64GB SD card but want to make sure I know what's wrong before potentially putting it at risk.

Is the source of my problem the Pi, borked SD card, Dreampi disk image, or a combination of the above, and is there a way I can fix it?

Thank you in advance! :mrgreen:
deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: Dreampi - Root Account Locked?

Post by deluxux »

hmm a pi 1 B+ might be too old to use the latest Dreampi.

The first generation Raspberry Pi systems runs on Debian armel.
The_Larax
Fancy Pants Admin

Post by The_Larax »

That would probably explain it. I'll try getting either a pi 3 or 4 depending on what the price difference is
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

I've never seen that error before but I can tell you that DreamPi works on every model Raspberry Pi, even the oldest ones. Could be a bad SD card but I'm not sure.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live
The_Larax
Fancy Pants Admin

Post by The_Larax »

I've tried running it on a second brand new SD card and have the same message come up, so that probably rules out the SD card being the issue.

I also only get one light on my modem, but that makes sense if the Pi isn't accessing dreampi properly.
Xiden
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All the DC games!!

Post by Xiden »

The_Larax wrote:I've tried running it on a second brand new SD card and have the same message come up, so that probably rules out the SD card being the issue.

I also only get one light on my modem, but that makes sense if the Pi isn't accessing dreampi properly.

Follow this guide here https://www.htgsd.com/information-techn ... is-locked/

Hopefully this will get it going