Dreamcast starts and stops... then stops

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

grantimi
noob

Dreamcast starts and stops... then stops

Post#1 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi,

I've had a quick search around but couldn't find a solution. I apologise in advance if this problem has been posted and would appreciete if someone could link me.

The problem occurs when I initial power up my Dreamcast. The laser attempts to read and then stops after five or so seconds. If I try it again the same thing happens. After several attempts the laser does nothing on power up. I have to push about the GD rom area to get it back to the loop or trying to boot up.

I took my Dreamcast apart to spray it back and put it back together. It was working okay beforehand so obviously this has affected it somehow. I dismantled it again and put it back together, checking all the connectors of the GD rom. I also done the 'calibration' trick which doesn't seem to work.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

K_I_R_E_E_K

Re: Dreamcast starts and stops... then stops

Post#2 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:37 am

Does this happen with all GD/CD/audio disks?

grantimi
noob

Post#3 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:53 am

Yeah, it happens with all discs and repeats the same cycle when a disc isn't in the drive.

TeamXlink
Rank 9

Post#4 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:45 am

segadreamcastlover wrote:sounds like its about time to replace the GD-rom drive, go on ebay, you should be able to find one on there for cheap, its quite easy to install

Its very easy to install, and the only tools you'll need are a phillips head screwdriver, you can even use a flat head if you do it right.