Dreamcast gives wrong picture out

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Duessi
rebel

Dreamcast gives wrong picture out

Post#1 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:22 am

Hi

i have a problem with my Dreamcast if i start it the logo is not orange its black.When i want to play Shenmue 2 for example the Main Menu is not orange its green i think somethink is wrong with the colours.

Now i want to ask is the RGB Scart Cable broken or the Dreamcast because i dont touched the RGB cable?

Thanks for help

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Re: Dreamcast gives wrong picture out

Post#2 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:46 am

I had a similar problem some time ago (The color output was way too yellow-ish). Neither my Scart cable nor my DC was broken though, it was my television's scart input. Have you tried using a different television already?
For Great Justice!

Duessi
rebel

Post#3 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:02 am

yes on another tv the same thing but if i push the RGB cable adapter that goes into the DC down the picture is good maybe the RGB cable is broken or the DC Av out.

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Post#4 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:29 pm

Duessi wrote:yes on another tv the same thing but if i push the RGB cable adapter that goes into the DC down the picture is good maybe the RGB cable is broken or the DC Av out.

I think it's way more likely that it's the cable (Is it just me or do these scart cables break all the time?). Hm, maybe a bit extreme, but have you tried using contact spray? Maybe that works?
For Great Justice!

Duessi
rebel

Post#5 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:38 am

no i have not tried this.
i think too that it is the cable but i want to buy a new one and this time a original Sega Scart cable.

Now is a piece of plastic broken from the inside of the Av Out i think that i need a new Dreamcast....

Dingo
dark night

Post#6 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:17 am

Ever heard of a product called DeoxIT? It's a contact cleaner spray that removes oxidation (tarnish) from electrical contacts. You may just have dirty contacts.

I always keep a can handy. It works VERY well. Good for cleaning scratchy or 'open' pots. Works great for cleaning Video-game cartridges and cartridge slots too! I've resurrected a few Genesis carts with it.

I'd spray some of that in the AV port and plug/unplug the connector a few times to work it into the contacting parts.

Now is a piece of plastic broken from the inside of the Av Out i think that i need a new Dreamcast....

If the AV port is busted, then you can always solder a SCART lead right to Dreamcast motherboard. ;)