Problem with Ebay Dreamcast

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Greeny98
noob

Problem with Ebay Dreamcast

Post#1 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:51 am

Hello everybody I have a strange issue.

I bought a Dreamcast off of Ebay, as I had one years ago and wished to get a new one to relive some old memories. Anyway It came in the post this morning, and since then I have been having numerous problems.

1. When I plug it in and turn it on it makes the most disgusting burning smell, I have to keep the window open.

2. It will not connect to any TV in my house I have a VGA box and it will not display on any of 4 TV`s I have tried and the Scart do not work either.

But I can hear the disc running and reading.

I am wondering is the system completely burnt out and did I get robbed ?

Much thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Problem with Ebay Dreamcast

Post#2 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:45 pm

I'd definitely try and get a refund on that! That's not normal at all. eBay is very good at getting you a refund even if the seller isn't willing to cooperate.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

altecgodofchaos
minority

Post#3 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:36 pm

I would definitly not plug it again, that burning smell is a bad sign, and can lead to a fire.

Greeny98 wrote:Hello everybody I have a strange issue.

I bought a Dreamcast off of Ebay, as I had one years ago and wished to get a new one to relive some old memories. Anyway It came in the post this morning, and since then I have been having numerous problems.

1. When I plug it in and turn it on it makes the most disgusting burning smell, I have to keep the window open.

2. It will not connect to any TV in my house I have a VGA box and it will not display on any of 4 TV`s I have tried and the Scart do not work either.

Sega Dreamcast "its thinking"

Macabre
Feet of Fury

Post#4 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:17 am

Personally I'm sure you can salvage the machine. But if your not very handy then just try and get your $ back.

A smell is probably coming from dust / insect / something near the power board on the inside of the system - the part that gets hot. If not there, then possibly a botched attempt at altering the system's vital components (a screwed up solder job for a mod chip or a botched attempt at overclocking the system).

The dust / crap could possibly be removed but cleaning that would be difficult if your not familiar with electronics. A screwed up modification = just get your $ back.

As for the video out part, some vga boxes are not compatible with some sources. I have the (un?)official treamcast black vga box, and this thing works on my projector, but not on any televisions. Another off name (nyko maybe) vga box refuses to work with my projector, but does on old crt tv's & what tv's I use now. Try the original cables too?
PSO Dreamcast BBA ftw @ Dreamcast-Talk.com
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~ Lust Purplenum RAcaseal
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~

DoctorN
dark night

Post#5 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:21 am

there is fecal matter inside the dreamcast

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:58 am

"BARF!" :(
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

altecgodofchaos
minority

Post#7 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:04 pm

out of the systems I've taken apart the dreamcast is the easiest. what you want to do is remove the 4 screws around the case with a philips screwdriver, and take the top off. than you will see the controller board, the power supply, and disc drive on top. inspect the power supply for any burnt spots. remember the three senses for repair, Smell, sight, and feel. if nothing is wrong, than if you have an air compressor air it out, if you don't have an air compressor use canned air. than you will go about removing the screws from the power supply, and controller port. after you do remove the ribbin strip from the main board and detach the controller port and remove the fan and power supply. now you will remove the screws from the GD-rom drive and remove straight from its bottom connector. after all this you will see the giant plate which will need to be removed. remove all screws and remove the top plate, and you will see the Motherboard. also inspect the motherboard now and see if there are any burnt spots. now clean it with a can of air or compressor. to put it back together do all of these steps in reverse. if you want to narrow down where the smell is coming from do not put the screws back in yet, and have everything reconnected and turn it on. if anything you should be able to smell where it is coming from and see it.

Greeny98 wrote:Hello everybody I have a strange issue.

Greeny98
noob

Post#8 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:02 pm

I would like to thank everyone for their replies, especially Macabre and altecgodofchaos.

I took apart the console and found the enterior to be incredibly dusty and dirty, it seemed the smell indeed was the components over heating and burning off the dust.

And I tried my friends Madness VGA box and it work brilliantly on my 32 inch. I just have to order one on Ebay.

Thank you all very much.

altecgodofchaos
minority

Post#9 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:22 pm

that is one reason i always air out my electronics. dust is very bad especially if you live in a hot or humid place.

Greeny98 wrote:I would like to thank everyone for their replies, especially Macabre and altecgodofchaos.

I took apart the console and found the enterior to be incredibly dusty and dirty, it seemed the smell indeed was the components over heating and burning off the dust.

And I tried my friends Madness VGA box and it work brilliantly on my 32 inch. I just have to order one on Ebay.

Thank you all very much.