Disc rot on my game?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Oze628
noob

Disc rot on my game?

Post#1 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:01 pm

Hello I've recently gotten into the dreamcast scene and got vigilante 8 second offense for my dreamcast, but after much research on disc rot I decided to look at the vigilante 8 disc. I held it up about 3 feet from a light bulb on too of my room and saw no white pinholes and I decided to use my iPhone flashlight for a brighter light to shine through. Within a couple of inches there was no signs of disc rot but then as I had the disc within a quarter of an inch, I saw a tiny hole, although it wasn't white, more semi transparent, should I worry about it?

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Re: Disc rot on my game?

Post#2 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:46 am

Could you hold it up against a light source and take a picture for all of us to see? Depending on where it happened on the disc it may go from still playable to junk.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

Oze628
noob

Post#3 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:41 pm

image.jpg

Oze628
noob

Post#4 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:43 pm

The semi transparent pinhole is next to the upper left corner of the T rating btw

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:39 pm

Oze628 wrote:The semi transparent pinhole is next to the upper left corner of the T rating btw

It looks like the game is toast. That is what I was afraid of seeing. You are going to have to find another copy. Sorry :(

Oze628
noob

Post#6 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:05 pm

Hmm you sure? It plays perfectly right now, could it the label paint coming off but not the laquer layer which protects the reflective layer? The light dosent go all the way through and is there a way for me to make a perfect back up for the game that dosent destroy the laser?

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#7 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:43 pm

The thing is all backups weaken the laser assembly. It's very negligible, so really it wouldn't make a difference if you do it sparingly. As for making a backup for that game, it shouldn't screw with the sort order of the dump. the only thing i read up is the bitrate for the introduction cutscene is too high for it to make a difference in video codec quality. If it isn't trimmed down it wouldn't fit onto a 80 minute CD-R. This post will give you a decent rip of the game without much compromise, but be aware that this is some shady stuff right here and I don't want to say this but this is considered piracy. Use with respect to the community.