DreamPi - Fails to answer Dreamcast call after new router installed.

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

nascar241993
lithium

Re: DreamPi - Fails to answer Dreamcast call after new router installed.

Post#51 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:10 pm

kazade wrote:Hi, sorry I've been a bit crap at replying - I've been without internet for 3 weeks and I have a lot going on at the moment.

Looking at the images, the LVI just isn't working at all. That's just showing you the output as the DreamPi sends the dial tone, but it's not showing anything for any kind of incoming call from the Dreamcast.

The Viking is "working" in that it detects the Dreamcast dialling and then tells the modem to answer but then it's timing out waiting for the modem to respond with "CONNECT"...

Just to confirm, this is DreamPi 1.4 right? I know there was a problem in earlier versions that would show this problem. What I think is happening is actually the modem is responding with something that I'm not expecting, but I can't debug it unless you can edit the code. If you *can* edit the code then find this line (in /home/pi/dreampi/dreampi.py)...

for resp in VALID_RESPONSES:

and on the line directly above it, add the following:

logger.info(line)

Make sure the indentation matches (e.g. the line you add, lines up with spaces with the line below)

That should log all the responses from the modem and then we should see what happened.

Unfortunately without internet at home I can't work on Dreampi 1.5, and so can't add the logging into the next version myself :(

It's alright. And yes, this is DreamPi 1.4 I'm running.

It sucks that my LVI isn't working, guess I better contact PCwzrd13 about that. As for editing DreamPi, I could try that, but I have little-to-no experience with Linux, let alone figuring out how to edit Python scripts.

Xiden
Developer

Post#52 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:50 pm

You'll need to first login,
Username = pi
password = raspberry

I'm a little rusty on my Linux but... this should work for you (Someone feel free to correct me if im wrong lol)

type 'pwd' then enter = shows you what directory you are in, you can step up a directory with cd .. (yes there is a space between cd and ..) till you are at the root directory

You can type 'ls' enter, and it will show you a list of directories and files, so if you type cd .. a bunch then type ls you should see a bunch of folders and one of them being 'home'

then type 'cd home/pi/dreampi/'

then type 'ls' you should see dreampi.py

type vi dreampi.py which takes you to the editor

use the arrow keys on the keyboard to scroll down to 'for resp in VALID_RESPONSES'

type logger.info(line) directly above it

type ':wq' then hit enter

should be good to go

nascar241993
lithium

Post#53 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:41 pm

Thank you for the info Xiden. I'll try this out later.

EDIT: Followed Xiden's guide. I found where "for resp in VALID_RESPONSES" is (line 320). I seem to be having a problem though. Any typing input just moves the cursor without changing anything.

I thought I could just add a new line by hitting enter at the end of line 319, but all that did was move the cursor down to 320 without adding a new line.

EDIT 2: Never mind, I found out that I had to hit the I key to go into Insert mode.

EDIT 3: Either I did something wrong, or the logger.info function isn't working. Also, I plugged my phone into the Line 1 port of my Viking (normally plugged into the Pi). The phone hears the number (111-1111) perfectly fine. At least I know the Dreamcast modem and the Viking are working fine, getting one step closer to fixing this.

nascar241993
lithium

Post#54 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:51 am

Ok, so I'm somewhat of an idiot. It finally dawned on me that my Dreamcast modem might be failing. I recently ran a test today with the Viking (I reflashed the DreamPi image again and cleared the router's device list in order to clear any saved settings the router had for every device), took 3 attempts before the Viking finally detected the call. Thanks to having verbose modem messages enabled on PlanetWeb 2.6, I can see that the connection behavior is a bit...random. Almost every test produces a different response on the verbose messages. Something else I've noticed is that whenever PlanetWeb states that the modem is disconnecting, the message disappears almost instantly instead of staying on screen for a few seconds.

Case in point, I think my Dreamcast's modem is on the verge of death, hanging by the last thread of life before it completely bites the dust.

Xiden
Developer

Post#55 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:44 am

Luckily Ebay's got a few on sale :) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phone-Modem-56K ... Swll1WyK94

Also you might examine the phone cord you are using, make sure its not damaged either.

nascar241993
lithium

Post#56 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:56 am

I ran both of the cables I use for the Viking through a continuity checker and, if my understanding of it is correct, both cables checked out okay.

Xiden
Developer

Post#57 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:33 am

SoulOfIce wrote:I'm having the exact same problem as well nascar, i've tried everything: (Reinstalling DreamPi, using different versions, changing how internet gets to the Raspberry Pi, different power supply's for the Pi, plugging the modem into different USB ports) yet I still get "There is no answer at this telephone number" but the Pi is showing everything running like it's suppose too, and the modem has both lights on. The only thing that could be causing it (only because I can't test it) is the LVI not working, which would make no sense because it has worked in the past, and it's protected quite well by heat shrink. And I also plugged the modem into my Laptop, and it turned on and registered it on my computer, so I don't think it has anything to do with the modem either. So I can't really help, but I just wanted to throw my hat into this confusing ring.

I was re-reading some of the issues in this post. My LVI suddenly stopped working too, (I'm connecting now with a viking dle). Have you replaced your LVI yet? I guess its possible for them to short out, I think mine did due to me taking the battery in and out when not in use.

Xiden
Developer

Post#58 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:34 am

nascar241993 wrote:I ran both of the cables I use for the Viking through a continuity checker and, if my understanding of it is correct, both cables checked out okay.

Did you also try a new LVI, cant remember who got a new one and I guess it was DOA?

nascar241993
lithium

Post#59 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:23 pm

The new LVI didn't do anything. It's possible that the Dreamcast modem is the cause of this.

nascar241993
lithium

Post#60 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:37 pm

NEW UPDATE: The Dreamcast modem was the cause of the connection issues! I just recently got the new modem today, and it works!

Also, to PCwzrd13, I tested out both LVI's, and they both work. I'll be sending the 2nd one back as soon as I possibly can. Sorry to make you go through the trouble.