Trouble connecting via dialup

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Trouble connecting via dialup

Post#1 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:06 pm

Gday!

Hopefully someone can help with this.

Ive got two DCs connected to the Internet, one is set up with my BBA and is used for Q3 and PSO, it works fine.

My other DC has the standard modem and connects to the landline wall socket, and is connected to the net with a legit proper old-school dial up account.

I can get this to connect to the web via XDP and in game browsers like Chuchu etc, but it will not connect to any games.

This is my DNS setting: Image

This is the error message i get when I attempt to connect to Chu Chu Rocket game server

Maximum Pool and Toy Racer also dont work, but it WILL connect to Q3A (US version) and PSO.

HELP!
Current online Dreamcast games:
Quake 3 Arena - -ch0pzta>
Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) - ch0pzta - HUmar - YELLOWBOZE Lv60-odd

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Trouble connecting via dialup

Post#2 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:30 pm

Unfortunately a lot of dial-up providers will ignore your DNS preference and use their own. This makes it impossible to connect to any game that requires a specific DNS server. Maximum Pool should work however. You just need to download the VMU save file from here to a VMU using a Dreamcast web browser.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Re: Trouble connecting via dialup

Post#3 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:26 am

+1,
The trouble is the ISP, i use the same DNS setup but on the second entry i put 8.8.8.8, and aims to a free ISP near my home (needed isp number, user and key) . It worked fine with the next games on a 33kb modem:

-Quake 3
-Phantasy Star Online (With Patch)
-Maximum Pool (VMU file needed)
-Toy Racer
-4x4 Evo
-Planet Ring (With Patch, not sure)
-Next Tetris!
-Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 Browsers, etc...

Maybe works but i cant try it:
-Starlancer (For others works, but not sure if are PAL users too)
-PBA Bowling (I didnt found a patched image, the patch alone fails, game only shows demo on PAL consoles).

This afternoon will be a Next Tetris event, you can try it at 8:00PM GMT+1 ;)
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!