DreamPi Modem trouble

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

MorganTheAdventurer
shadow

DreamPi Modem trouble

Post#1 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:02 am

I'm trying to get DreamPi setup with my Dreamcast, but it dosen't want to connect .
I'm using a Raspberry Pi Zero, connected online with wifi (I did go through the steps to connect it and it is online) and the line voltage inducer looks good.

My guess is that my problem might be with the Modem I bought. It only shows one light and nether the dreamcast or the pi gets a single from each other.
Does anyone know how to check to make sure that the modem is installed properly? or how to install it?
or should I just buy a different modem and hope for the best?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: DreamPi Modem trouble

Post#2 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:23 pm

What modem is it? I should note that there's a glitch with the DreamPi software that prevents it from starting up properly about half the time when using Wi-Fi. I recommend restarting it at least five times in case that's the issue you're running into. You should eventually get the two lights. Kazade is looking into fixing this in v1.5.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Cornerb0y
stalker

Post#3 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:33 pm

Be sure to check which version of Dreampi you are using. I was having issue connecting myself, and found I was using 1.0 instead of 1.4 (via ethernet).

MorganTheAdventurer
shadow

Post#4 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:37 pm

The modem doesn't seem to have a model on it, but here's the link that I got it from http://tinyurl.com/jq5kg9s
I just tried resetting the modem a few times to see if the second like will turn on, but I'm getting no luck.

I made sure that I downloaded Dreampi version 1.4, so its all good there :)

Thmanx
Anarki

Post#5 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:11 pm

Well I got good news and bad news

Good news is I know what's wrong (happened to me)

Bad news is, it's your modem. I bought the same one on eBay. Doesn't have Linux drivers or support duplex data.

Frys has one that you'll want.

http://www.frys.com/product/7402815;jse ... IN_RSLT_PG

TRENDnet works just fine.

Pick one up, log into a Q3 server. And we'll see ya next friday'

MorganTheAdventurer
shadow

Post#6 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:49 pm

Alight that's good to know :D
I figured it was the modem great to know for sure what the problem is. Sucks that i need a new one :p

We don't have a Fry's in Canada, and i would suspect that the shipping would make that cost quite a bit.
Any suggestions on a nice cheap one? I need it small since I'm planning to installed this into a portable Dreamcast I'm working on.

MorganTheAdventurer
shadow

Post#7 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:14 pm

The Dell modem I ordered arrived today and it works! Both lights light up and I can get online with my regular dreamcast

Now I just need to figure out why it says "modem disconnected" I must have wired up something wrong or damaged the modem somehow.

Thmanx
Anarki

Post#8 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:16 pm

Your almost there!

Does your Pi have an IP from your router?
What software are you using to try to connect, - game, P.W?

MorganTheAdventurer
shadow

Post#9 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:28 pm

Yep my Pi is getting the IP and it is connecting to the internet with the dreamcast.

It's actually this part of a mod I'm working on that's giving me trouble, the modem isn't connecting properly to the DC.

(I tested it on a not so modem DC to make sure the DreamPi part is working XD)

MorganTheAdventurer
shadow

Post#10 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:03 pm

Lol! i forgot to wire up the power and ground wires. Forgot that I left them out because I wanted to use thicker wires.

It's not connected and working online! now I can start working on the next part :D

Thanks again for helping me figure out what the problem was.