Disk read error

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

alex.deloach
shadow

Disk read error

Post#1 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:31 pm

Im having a problem with my Dreamcast. When I first started it up, it took me about an hour to get it to read the disk. I got it to work by putting some pressure near the back where the lid sensor is and it started up the game. After playing for about an hour, my game froze after i did a wierd button combination by mistake in a menu and I thought that the combination froze it. Now I cant get it to read games again, even doing the same thing. Ive tried holding down the lid sensor while the game is running and it doesn't get past the sega screen. Any ideas?

Sent from my XT1225 using Tapatalk

Xiden
Developer

Re: Disk read error

Post#2 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:42 pm

Your laser is going out, you'll have to do an adjustment which is fairly simple :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cKsWwi7qIE

alex.deloach
shadow

Post#3 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:46 pm

I heard that only fixes the problem temporarily and that it would only last about 6 months after so I was reluctant to do that. I removed the little board where the lid sensor is, cleaned it up, and its working normally now. Maybe it had some dust or dirt stuck? Or maybe its just randomly working now for a while. Either way, thanks for the advice!

TacT
Uber

Post#4 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:49 pm

First try at least Cleaning the lens properly before adjusting the pot
don't use alcohol
I have recommended a product called Meguiars PlastX , a tiny drop on a cotton swab and wipe it clean with the other end. I and others have fixed dozens of dreamcasts that wouldn't read just by cleaning the lens right with the right stuff =) then try adjusting the pot Using a multimeter btw.

(edit there was another post about disc read error i meant to post this on XD but still good info )
Last edited by TacT on Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

it's still thinking.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#5 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:59 pm

I do think that some games will reboot the system if you press all 4 face buttons and both triggers at the same time. I vaguely remember seeing something like that years ago anyway. Other than that I do not know of any button combo that could crash your game?

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#6 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:31 am

ABXY+Start should reset the game to the title screen or BIOS, not crash it. It's possible that he tried to reset to the title screen, but the game crashed due to an inability to read the disc to load the title screen assets, though.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

alex.deloach
shadow

Post#7 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:19 pm

It's worked every day since I cleaned the lid sensor! Thanks for all the advice either way, its much appreciated.