How can Sega get back in the hardware market?

This forum is closed. Rumor and speculation topics about future Sega consoles are no longer allowed in any forum section as of 2/22/2012

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DeBraveMan
shadow

Re: How can Sega get back in the hardware market?

Post#11 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:39 am

MrSega wrote:Also here's the Kaladata IM article from last year:

http://www.kaldata.com/comments.php?catid=4&id=55129

Since its written Bulgarian here's what it translates to:

"Although not a secret that SEGA has long work on their LINDBERGH / RINGEDGE project today revealed that they have officially signed an agreement with Imagination Technologies of the United Kingdom, which will begin work on "high tech graphics console next generation " . Still no technical information on the project because it is very early stage. SEGA shared, however, that their plans are the new console is a direct competitor of the next generation of Sony and Microsoft . The company believe that with more development over the early start will be able to beat the two giants will take a larger share of the market. Since Sony did say they do not intend to repeat the mistake they made ​​with the PS3 and their next console will not work with PowerVR, but with a cheaper version of nVidia or AMD. The purpose of this company is about to come up with a system that cost under $ 300 in his first days on the market."

Very interesting, so it sounds as if they really are in development of some new game console. I'm curious as to see what will come of it and the game industry of the future.

DeBraveMan
shadow

Post#12 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:47 am

MrSega wrote:
DeBraveMan wrote:Glad to be here!

Also when you said the Sega's "KIDSPAD", I'm sure you are refering to this:
http://blog.lowrez.de/wp-content/upload ... 2/bb03.jpg

I also do believe that Sega is making a comeback to the home console market. With them making plenty of downloadable games, I would say that many of them will be towards their own gaming online market of their suppose new generation console. Most likely that most of those downloadables will be of their classic gaming franchises from all of their previous consoles. Also with them working on both disc base and online games, they will have both their new technology in use and also with the backwards capability with their classic titles that are on disc.
Also as you say that their going stop game development on other consoles is of course the same choice to make when going from a software perspective to a hardware perspective. Making games for only for their console to ensure that they will have constumers wanting to buy into their system. I do believe that they have something under their sleaves as a good comeback is one that isn't so expected at the given time, yet already knew was coming. I'm sure Sega is getting tired of losing money, so the best bet is to give people what they want and earn what they have been wanting all along.

Actually, that's a picture of the 2009 RINGEDGE arcade game "Border Break".

KIDSPAD will be a game tablet, I've also heard the device will be capable of running arcade perfect tites for LINDBERGH,RINGWIDE and RINGEDGE. So this title may wind up on KIDSPAD.

Okay's I see, a game tablet. I wonder how that would work. I also drew a concept of what could be the Sega's new controller, but my printer isn't set up for uploading through skanner. Maybe some other time when I get the chance to get the skanner up, I can possibly reveal the concept art of it.

MrSega

Post#13 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:59 am

It is my understanding that the Super System/NEPTUNE has 2 controller design concepts that SEGA is playing with: The first is a Saturn 3D-like pad with snapon accessories add ons, the second is a wireless bluetoothed enabled controller that resembles the original GBA except it uses 6 touch buttons.(Nintendo scrapped the original GBA patent design in 2005).

KIDSPAD is said to either look simluar to the iPad(with 3 touch buttons and a D pad) or has a notebook design to it.

DeBraveMan
shadow

Post#14 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:12 am

I think Sega will go for a 6 button layout as they have done with their Sega Genesis series. Most likely they will want to standout and be different, and to also input as many button configurations as possible to ensure that they can have some workable and rivaled games to other game consoles. That also puts them in the position of having more 1st party developers working on the system.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#15 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:08 am

I for one think that a name like kidspad would be about the worse thing they could name it. it would suggest to the paying public that it is a toy and no one will want to drop big dollars on a kids toy.

Hiryosuke
Dead House

Post#16 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:18 am

I said the same thing...

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#17 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:01 am

the problem at the moment is that the core gaming market is a bit of a niche really now. Sega was the last core, and therefore proper, gaming console company (IMO). They made games because they were fun to play. They didn't rehash franchises massively, certainly not to the extent of Sony or MS, and if they are to have any major success they need to try and cater to all markets, ie core, casual, and niche.

So they would have to try and get franchises onboard such as COD, FIFA etc while still being able to design and release their own exclusive and exciting titles, they would also have to come up with some fresh ideas and angles. Nintendo tried this with the Gamecube and it pretty much failed so they then went the way of the WII and tried to tap into an unproven/unused market, the casual gamer. it was a bold risk and it paid off, however the wii was purely a fad for most. It was cool to have one for a few months but unless you were a hardcore Nintendo fan the majority of the masses got bored quite quickly.

the wiimote is the biggest pile of cack controller I've even had the displeasure to be forced to play with. thats mainly because I loathe the idea of having to aim a light gun type thing at the screen, I feel as though I am loosing a lot of control and therefore feel detached from the game. I'm sure others don't feel that way but I just hated the fact that some good franchises suddenly forced you to play like a child and point the thing at the screen rather than just use the tried and tested controller button option. still thats probably just my own personal opinion.

Anyway if they come out with a new console it should definitely be a Dreamcast 2 so as to tap the resources of that console, which I believe had some of its best franchises and sooo many people have fond memories of the last great Sega machine, while others will have heard of it over the years and seeing a second machine in that line might convince people to try it this time. They should cater to fps, sport, and all the other currenly popular franchises/genres, not allienate the core gamers by coming up with a crap gimmick that makes it a 5 minute wonder, and just stick to what they do best which is innovate and create truly awesome games that the other consoles envy ridiculously.
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

DeBraveMan
shadow

Post#18 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:08 pm

I totally agree, well we will see some further signs in the future. To have an understanding of what it might be, could of been better.