New Xbox & PlayStation 4: What to Expect -Eurogamer.net

This forum is closed. Rumor and speculation topics about future Sega consoles are no longer allowed in any forum section as of 2/22/2012

Moderator: pcwzrd13

MrSega

Re: New Xbox & PlayStation 4: What to Expect -Eurogamer.net

Post#11 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:39 am

WildCard wrote:And ATI just started on it last week ? They've been releasing tech demos since mid 2008 at least.

Personally i don't really give a crap either way. None of this stuff is probably going to see the light of day anyway.

Imagination Tech has been putting out tech demos for real time ray tracing and Caustic graphics since September 2006. Just look it up on youtube.

More proof that IM is ahead of AMD.

WildCard
Beats of Rage

Post#12 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:11 pm

MrSega wrote:
WildCard wrote:And ATI just started on it last week ? They've been releasing tech demos since mid 2008 at least.

Personally i don't really give a crap either way. None of this stuff is probably going to see the light of day anyway.

Imagination Tech has been putting out tech demos for real time ray tracing and Caustic graphics since September 2006. Just look it up on youtube.

More proof that IM is ahead of AMD.

Whoopdifreakingdo. I like to pull for the underdog too, but a boutique chip maker who owns a tiny company working on a fringe technology which is still many years from becoming a mainstream basis for graphic display is not my idea of an "Ace in the hole".

Ipad graphics on my TV from my "Next Generation" Console ? Who do i give my money to ? :roll:

MrSega

Post#13 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Okay WildCard you've made your point. You think AMD is better than IM, we understand. Its your opinion, no need to be snide and rude about it.

Anyway like, SegaNews,Maz and I have said, AMD isn't the wave of the future in graphics, sure they may be popluar but investors will pay a heavy price later on. As far as I'm concerned few people will be wiling to pay $500 bucks for a console,few were wiling to pay $600 for PS3, few were willing to pay $700 for 3DO. I know inflation is skyrocketing but it ain't going up that much.

Imagination Tech in my opinion will be underestimated. CausticOne itself has already produced visuals combining two PS3s together. CausticTwo can produce live action visuals by itself.

Caustic Graphics CausticOne RTU is capable of 3D stereoscopic processing,photo realism and real time ray tracing(which is the act of being able to copy actual live action footage and real digital photos and process them in graphics engines.) There isn't even an AMD Radeon OEM wise capable of such a feat. Like I said the first AMD RTU isn't even expected until 2014. All your gonna get from them is more rasteration and "Unreal 3" which NEC Power VR 6 can do just fine,but at half the budget and better the preformance.

Those are my two cents. AMD is overinflated and overrated. You'll be burning a hole through your pocket with the impression that your getting more but your actually getting more of the same with slight improvements.

Yeah, Radeon is becoming outdated. Pure and simple.

WildCard
Beats of Rage

Post#14 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:38 pm

MrSega wrote:Okay WildCard you've made your point. You think AMD is better than IM, we understand. Its your opinion, no need to be snide and rude about it.

Anyway like, SegaNews,Maz and I have said, AMD isn't the wave of the future in graphics, sure they may be popluar but investors will pay a heavy price later on. As far as I'm concerned few people will be wiling to pay $500 bucks for a console,few were wiling to pay $600 for PS3, few were willing to pay $700 for 3DO. I know inflation is skyrocketing but it ain't going up that much.

Imagination Tech in my opinion will be underestimated. CausticOne itself has already produced visuals combining two PS3s together. CausticTwo can produce live action visuals by itself.

Caustic Graphics CausticOne RTU is capable of 3D stereoscopic processing,photo realism and real time ray tracing(which is the act of being able to copy actual live action footage and real digital photos and process them in graphics engines.) There isn't even an AMD Radeon OEM wise capable of such a feat. Like I said the first AMD RTU isn't even expected until 2014. All your gonna get from them is more rasteration and "Unreal 3" which NEC Power VR 6 can do just fine,but at half the budget and better the preformance.

Those are my two cents. AMD is overinflated and overrated. You'll be burning a hole through your pocket with the impression that your getting more but your actually getting more of the same with slight improvements.

Either way, no one has a crystal ball and can see the future of how graphics are going to be rendered.

Remember the days of Ray Casting graphics ? Or how Full motion video was the future ? Or when every computer was going to have a dedicated Physics card ? Or when the Cell processor was going to revolutionize the CPU ? And on and on and on...

stu
Feet of Fury

Post#15 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:49 pm

MrSega wrote:Okay WildCard you've made your point. You think AMD is better than IM, we understand. Its your opinion, no need to be snide and rude about it.

Any high end Radeon or Geforce chip would wipe the floor with the PowerVR 6 chip, Sony are having to use a quad core Power VR 543 chip to be able to get close to PS3 visuals for the PSVita and thats on the Vita's 5 inch screen. The PowerVR 6 chip is going to a lot more powerful than the PowerVR 543 but it's going to be nowhere near the latest DirectX 11 chips being developed by Nvidia and AMD. They are aimed at different markets and different power and heat restrictions, smartphones and tablets that use Power VR chips need to be able to run off a battery and not burn a hole in your pocket, PCs and consoles that mostly have AMD or Nvidia GPUs use the mains electricity and can have more fans to cool them.

As for Ray Tracing ImgTec seem to have no plans to incorporate the Caustic tech in to the PowerVR 6, in fact it seems they are content to keep Caustic in the high end professional market for the time being, maybe by the time Power VR 7 comes out they will integrate some of the Caustic tech, but not before.

(BTW you really need to check up on how Ray Tracing works as it uses light rays to generate the images, it has nothing to do with "the act of being able to copy actual live action footage and real digital photos and process them in graphics engines" like you claim.) :lol:

Most graphics tech for games is based off what the latest version Direct X or Open GL will support, until either of these systems support Ray Tracing it will remain a technique used only in the high end graphics market.

If you like the PowerVR tech then good for you but stop telling others what to think.

RayTracer
undertow

Post#16 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:25 pm

stu wrote:

Any high end Radeon or Geforce chip would wipe the floor with the PowerVR 6 chip, Sony are having to use a quad core Power VR 543 chip to be able to get close to PS3 visuals for the PSVita and thats on the Vita's 5 inch screen. The PowerVR 6 chip is going to a lot more powerful than the PowerVR 543 but it's going to be nowhere near the latest DirectX 11 chips being developed by Nvidia and AMD. They are aimed at different markets and different power and heat restrictions, smartphones and tablets that use Power VR chips need to be able to run off a battery and not burn a hole in your pocket, PCs and consoles that mostly have AMD or Nvidia GPUs use the mains electricity and can have more fans to cool them.

As for Ray Tracing ImgTec seem to have no plans to incorporate the Caustic tech in to the PowerVR 6, in fact it seems they are content to keep Caustic in the high end professional market for the time being, maybe by the time Power VR 7 comes out they will integrate some of the Caustic tech, but not before.

(BTW you really need to check up on how Ray Tracing works as it uses light rays to generate the images, it has nothing to do with "the act of being able to copy actual live action footage and real digital photos and process them in graphics engines" like you claim.) :lol:

Most graphics tech for games is based off what the latest version Direct X or Open GL will support, until either of these systems support Ray Tracing it will remain a technique used only in the high end graphics market.

If you like the PowerVR tech then good for you but stop telling others what to think.

Then what's this all about then?

Imagination Technologies shall provide Sega with a PowerVR Series 6 GPU and a Caustic Graphics CausticTwo RTU.

http://s3gal3aks.wordpress.com/2011/07/ ... hnologies/

stu
Feet of Fury

Post#17 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:45 pm

RayTracer wrote:Then what's this all about then?

Imagination Technologies shall provide Sega with a PowerVR Series 6 GPU and a Caustic Graphics CausticTwo RTU.

http://s3gal3aks.wordpress.com/2011/07/ ... hnologies/

Exactly what did this link have to do with the subject of this thread? Did you not read the note at the bottom of my 1st post?

Anyway to answer your question RayTracer, it looks like a lot of fake, discredited BS to me .. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Hiryosuke
Dead House

Post#18 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:04 pm

All the comments I've seen so far are irrelevant to tge axtual topic...

stu
Feet of Fury

Post#19 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:25 pm

Hiryosuke wrote:All the comments I've seen so far are irrelevant to tge axtual topic...

Yes, it seems to have turned in to a discussion of the Power VR tech used in smartphones and tablets. I wasn't aware that this chip was going to feature in either the next Xbox or Playstation. Oh well. :?

SegaNews
fragger

Post#20 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:49 pm

Don't want to sound mean, but wasn't this topic for the next XBOX and Play Station, i think stu specified he would rather not see Sega speculation here, and just the Xbox and Play Station... correct me if i'm wrong, but this topic became off topic!
Sega make the console!!! I Saved $500 now in order to buy it!