New Xbox & PlayStation 4: What to Expect -Eurogamer.net

This forum is closed. Rumor and speculation topics about future Sega consoles are no longer allowed in any forum section as of 2/22/2012

Moderator: pcwzrd13

stu
Feet of Fury

New Xbox & PlayStation 4: What to Expect -Eurogamer.net

Post#1 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:43 am

Eurogamer.net has posted an interesting report on what to expect from the next Xbox and Playstation systems. They interviewed developers from Epic and Crytek, who are working on next gen technology already. I thought I'd post it here and see what people think.

Here's the link:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... ct-article

Quote from the report:

"Video game graphics achieved using the DirectX 11 standard provide a solid indication of the visual power of the next Xbox and PlayStation, Eurogamer has been told.

Eurogamer has also been told that visuals on a par with Hollywood blockbuster movie Avatar are a genuine possibility on the next generation of consoles – a claim first made by graphics technology company AMD and now backed up by video game developers.

As part of an investigation into the next generation of home consoles, Eurogamer has learnt from developers what gamers can expect from the next Xbox and the PlayStation 4."

In my opinion the claim that these next gen systems being capable of producing graphics on par with Avatar sounds like marketing hype, but I'm still hoping for a jump in graphics quality and AI and physics simulation. My hope as always is that developers manage to harness the power of these new machines in order to produce gaming experiences that could not be achieved on previous systems.

PLEASE NOTE: This thread is to discuss the Eurogamer.net article on what to expect from the next Xbox and Playstation. Please post the Neptune/SegaDrive/SuperSystem/KidsPad stuff somewhere else.
Thanks
Last edited by stu on Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hiryosuke
Dead House

Re: New Xbox & PlayStation 4: What to Expect -Eurogamer.net

Post#2 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:20 pm

Yeah thats a bit of a stretch but there should be at least a recognizable improvement in graphics and frame rate

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#3 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:07 pm

what to expect (in a nutshell):

-even more overpriced hardware
-games will prolly start from 90 & upwards
-no improvement in games/gameplay, since graphics will make or kill a game (oh wait, thats the same as this gen)
-imminent hd failure
-will be hacked, even more will be stolen
-regions will be locked again
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

MrSega

Post#4 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:24 pm

mazonemayu wrote:what to expect (in a nutshell):

-even more overpriced hardware
-games will prolly start from 90 & upwards
-no improvement in games/gameplay, since graphics will make or kill a game (oh wait, thats the same as this gen)
-imminent hd failure
-will be hacked, even more will be stolen
-regions will be locked again

You should also add:

$500 SKUs.

No ray tracing.(AMD's first RTU isn't expected to be availible for OEMs until 2014, Imagination Tech has a couple of years advantage on them.) Even if Xbox Bulldozer and the imaginary "PS4" had ray tracing, it would drive development cost up 40% more and would ballon the already annoying rising budget on IPs.

Lots and lots of useless,tired ass motion sensor gimmicks,overpriced hard drives.

Since the current AMD GPUs look slightly better than the previous gen,not much of an improvement in graphics at all.

Nothing cutting edge,nothing worth buying, nothing special just like that Atari 5200-like Wii U system.

Imagination Tech has got the upper hand on AMD with Caustic Graphics.

WildCard
Beats of Rage

Post#5 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:54 pm

MrSega wrote:You should also add:

$500 SKUs.

No ray tracing.(AMD's first RTU isn't expected to be availible for OEMs until 2014, Imagination Tech has a couple of years advantage on them.) Even if Xbox Bulldozer and the imaginary "PS4" had ray tracing, it would drive development cost up 40% more and would ballon the already annoying rising budget on IPs.

Lots and lots of useless,tired ass motion sensor gimmicks,overpriced hard drives.

Since the current AMD GPUs look slightly better than the previous gen,not much of an improvement in graphics at all.

Nothing cutting edge,nothing worth buying, nothing special just like that Atari 5200-like Wii U system.

Imagination Tech has got the upper hand on AMD with Caustic Graphics.

I thought Imag Tech/Caustic were geared more towards low power chips (smart fones, tablets, etc).

While i don't keep up the with bleeding edge stuff from what i've seen ATI/AMD is leading the way with graphic processing.

MrSega

Post#6 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:07 am

WildCard. Imagination Tech has a RTU only division called "Caustic Graphics, Inc" in which they have 2 OEM products both for high tech use. "CausticOne" and "CausticTwo" both are also being developed for high tech usage. Also NEC Power VR 6 Rogue is the first Power VR GPU chip in 10 years that will have both non PC and non mobile features. Thus, SEGA has an exclusive deal to use both a NEC Power VR 6 and a CausticOne RTU for thier new arcade board SEGADRIVE, with Super System/NEPTUNE being the only console capable of ray tracing.

If you still believe that AMD is ahead of Imagination Tech take a look at this: http://www.caustic.com

IM has been developing this techology for 5 years and is WELL ahead of AMD.

WildCard
Beats of Rage

Post#7 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:33 am

And ATI just started on it last week ? They've been releasing tech demos since mid 2008 at least.

Personally i don't really give a crap either way. None of this stuff is probably going to see the light of day anyway.

stu
Feet of Fury

Post#8 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:15 am

WildCard wrote:I thought Imag Tech/Caustic were geared more towards low power chips (smart fones, tablets, etc).

While i don't keep up the with bleeding edge stuff from what i've seen ATI/AMD is leading the way with graphic processing.

Yes WildCard your right, ImgTec are mainly focused on the mobile market consisting of Smartphones and Tablets and the new PowerVR 6 chip is being primarily aimed at this market too. While I am sure that ImgTec will try to incorporate Caustic's tech into their next GPU currently the Caustic One and Two are only being aimed at the professional graphics market and NOT the consumer market. MrSega is referring to some discredited rumors from one Zach Morris, an identity who is notorious for posting fake rumors and BS.

MrSega wrote:WildCard. Imagination Tech has a RTU only division called "Caustic Graphics, Inc" in which they have 2 OEM products both for high tech use. "CausticOne" and "CausticTwo" both are also being developed for high tech usage. Also NEC Power VR 6 Rogue is the first Power VR GPU chip in 10 years that will have both non PC and non mobile features. Thus, SEGA has an exclusive deal to use both a NEC Power VR 6 and a CausticOne RTU for thier new arcade board SEGADRIVE, with Super System/NEPTUNE being the only console capable of ray tracing.

If you still believe that AMD is ahead of Imagination Tech take a look at this: http://www.caustic.com

IM has been developing this techology for 5 years and is WELL ahead of AMD.

And none of that has any relevance to this topic, this is about the next gen Xbox and Playstation and what to expect from them, NOT a non-existant console made up by a discredited fraud. I politely ask you to refrain from "hijacking" this thread and turning it in to yet another "Neptune/SuperSystem/SegaDrive/KidsPad" discussion. I think you have PLENTY of threads to choose from if you wish to discuss that.

SegaNews
fragger

Post#9 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:20 am

What we can expect:
Nothing really, just more expensive, and slightly better graphics!
Sega make the console!!! I Saved $500 now in order to buy it!

MrSega

Post#10 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:34 am

SegaNews wrote:What we can expect:
Nothing really, just more expensive, and slightly better graphics!

Agreed. AMD is way too overrated. Console manufacturers that are investing in Radeon GPU have no idea that they are setting themselves up for higher development and production costs, at the expense of
slightly better graphics that look no different from 2009-2010 PCs. AMD's BOM are twice the price of Nvidia and IM.

I am glad SEGA understands this and is why they've said NO to Radeon and YES to Power VR 6 and CausticOne. Imagination Tech offers exclusive,cost efficiant high preformance unqiue non PC graphics and unlike AMD has loads of contractors who can develop and built GPUs for less the budget than
AMD.

Imagination Tech is the way too go if your looking for something different and cutting edge.