The First Xbox Was The Dreamcast 2

This forum is closed. Rumor and speculation topics about future Sega consoles are no longer allowed in any forum section as of 2/22/2012

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Dreamcast2-k12
rebel

The First Xbox Was The Dreamcast 2

Post#1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Just a theory that I thought about but i think the first Xbox was a Sega/Microsoft console and the successor to the Dreamcast. I'm sure anyone that has played a Dreamcast and played an Xbox has seen the similarities in the controller. But aside from that there are pieces that make this seem plausable. Back in '98 Microsoft and Sega collaborated on the Dreamcast, and based their system off of DirectX.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/pres ... agmpr.mspx

The Dreamcast was suppose to be the next generation console that was suppose to end the previous console era and bring in the new. it released in '98 in Japan and '99 in America. It had a good lie up of games at release and decent sales until the PlayStation 2 came out. With the lack of a DVD player built in and the Dreamast games being pirated, the system had to discontinued. But Back in '98 Microsoft wanted to design their own system using DirectX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox

Now Sega just released a game console in the current generation working with Microsoft. Microsoft Decides it wants to create a console and it was released in the same generation of consoles and Sega was right there ready to support it.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/pres ... egapr.mspx

I believe Sega seen Microsoft trying to jump in the console market as a way to create a more up to date version of the Dreamcast, similar to the Wii U. The controllers are basically identical with an extra thumbstick. They wanted to take advantage of broadband to support a better online experience (The Dreamcast was internet ready out the box). The Xbox had exclusive Sega games, some being sequels to Dremcast titles (Shenmue 2 was release only on the japanese and European Dremcast but the American version was released on the Xbox). And since Sega's name had been tarnished by this time, releasing the console under a different name and company means the consumers won't be drawn away (I'm sure there were a lot of people were excited and interested to see a console). Just a little theory.

Mephiles550
letterbomb

Re: The First Xbox Was The Dreamcast 2

Post#2 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:55 pm

Good theory :)

the Xbox 1 controller was bases off the Dreamcast I think that was confirmed by Sega and Microsoft. And the 360 took the Xbox 1 controller and upgraded It into one of my favorite controllers ever made for games.

This could also explain why Sega pay's more attention to the Xbox then the PlayStation. Sega employes probably left Sega and went and got employment at microsoft and they took the Dreamcast controller design with them.

when sega makes a game for the xbox 360 thats also available for the playstation 3 the xbox port it usually better. Just look at the sonic generations demo! and bayonetta! their also porting most of their classics to XBL instead of PSN I think.

The Xbox one was the Dreamcast 2 to me It had great and similar enough games to the dreamcast that made me believe that.
I'm not so sure that the 360 is the Dreamcast 3 though xD
Last edited by Mephiles550 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SegaNews
fragger

Post#3 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:56 pm

There are so many of these topics now. Mainly Xbox 360 - Dreamcast 2, or Xbox copied Dreamcast!
Also did you know SOJ wanted the original Xbox to be able to play DC games? Microsoft liked the sound of that, but Bill Gates said no cause he disagreed on one thing, DC games being played online on the Xbox!
Sega make the console!!! I Saved $500 now in order to buy it!

Dreamcast2-k12
rebel

Post#4 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:14 pm

SegaNews wrote:There are so many of these topics now. Mainly Xbox 360 - Dreamcast 2, or Xbox copied Dreamcast!
Also did you know SOJ wanted the original Xbox to be able to play DC games? Microsoft liked the sound of that, but Bill Gates said no cause he disagreed on one thing, DC games being played online on the Xbox!

Wouldn't they have made more money that way? Unless Microsoft didn't want people to look at the Xbox as a Dreamcast.

MrSega

Post#5 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:04 pm

The Dreamcast is an interesting chapter in SEGA history especially in reguards to Mircosoft who drew heavy inspiration for Xbox from Dreamcast. Mircosoft saw it fit in 1999 with the success of Dreamcast to try to take a shot at the console market and drew inspiration from DC in Xbox's design. Mircosoft has always had good relations with SEGA, in fact in 2000 one of the plans Soichiro Iwajiri had to keep DC alive was to sell some of SEGA/CSK's stock to Mircosoft who had agreed that they would let SEGA stay as a competitor against them after Xbox launched.

Both SEGA and Mircosoft wanted Dreamcast to live and Bill Gates was willing to offer it an olive branch if SEGA had agreed to support Xbox software wise and if they ported most of thier DC titles to Xbox. The only person that made SEGA throw in the towel was Isao Okawa.