hey guys~

This forum is closed. Rumor and speculation topics about future Sega consoles are no longer allowed in any forum section as of 2/22/2012

Moderator: pcwzrd13

CruSega
Doom

Re: hey guys~

Post#41 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:12 pm

madmax2069 wrote:
CruSega wrote: My only beef with N64 is the lack of textures probably due to the cartridge limitation

That didn't really have anything to do with a cart limitation per say (it certainly didnt help), Cart size effected sound/music, CGI (RE2) more so then textures. It was mainly due to is 4 KB texture cache (not much at all, heck the PS1 had 1mb) They had to use such a ultra low quality/low res texture to conserve texture cache, They used those ultra low res textures and basically streached them to fit what ever they wanted to use it for, and on top of that bilinear filtering only made matters worse. And when mipmappingwas used the texture cache was basically halved to 2 KB. Even if the carts could hold as much as a CD it wouldn't change the issue much at all because of the 4 KB texture cache limitation. I know the expansion pack doubled the ram from 4mb to 8mb, i dont know if it did the same to the texture cache, if it did double the texture cache 8 KB still isn't a lot to work with.

Thanks for the information. I didn't know that N64's texture cache was so limited.