Nintendo Warnings-Losing $$$$

This forum is closed. Rumor and speculation topics about future Sega consoles are no longer allowed in any forum section as of 2/22/2012

Moderator: pcwzrd13

HowlingFear
fire

Re: Nintendo Warnings-Losing $$$$

Post#11 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Nintendo's half-year financial results reveal that the 3DS has sold 6.68 million - that's slightly more than the original DS managed to shift in the same period of time.

Its worldwide sales are higher than expected, and though Nintendo announced substantial losses today, the deficit fell short of the 100billion yen operating loss predicted by Japanese newspaper Nikkei Business Daily yesterday.

There are caveats, of course - the original DS had a staggered global launch, with five months between the Japanese, American and European launches, giving it less time to perform. Its sales totalled 6.65 million for the first seven months of its life.

The price cut appears to have sped up 3DS sales enormously, bringing the worldwide total up to this healthy number. With only one major release since Ocarina of time 3D, though, the Christmas line-up is going to be crucial for the console.

Stay tuned to IGN for more on Nintendo's half-year results, including the pending response from company President Iwata.

Source - http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1210833p1.html

Not that bad afterall. They will recover quickly.

CruSega
Doom

Post#12 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:02 pm

HowlingFear wrote:
Nintendo's half-year financial results reveal that the 3DS has sold 6.68 million - that's slightly more than the original DS managed to shift in the same period of time.

Its worldwide sales are higher than expected, and though Nintendo announced substantial losses today, the deficit fell short of the 100billion yen operating loss predicted by Japanese newspaper Nikkei Business Daily yesterday.

There are caveats, of course - the original DS had a staggered global launch, with five months between the Japanese, American and European launches, giving it less time to perform. Its sales totalled 6.65 million for the first seven months of its life.

The price cut appears to have sped up 3DS sales enormously, bringing the worldwide total up to this healthy number. With only one major release since Ocarina of time 3D, though, the Christmas line-up is going to be crucial for the console.

Stay tuned to IGN for more on Nintendo's half-year results, including the pending response from company President Iwata.

Do we want them to? I mean, I have all the respect for the big N but as Sega fanboys, something has to give in the market if we want to see a new Sega console, however slim that may be. Three's a Mario Party, Four Consoles next generation is a crowd with Sega being the odd man out.

Then again, watching Nintendo struggle might get Sammy even more nervous and make Sega stick to being a 3rd party co. for life. With each passing year, Sega is becoming more synonymous with the 1990s along with Snapple, Napster, Kris Kros and the Reebok Pumps.

MrSega

Post#13 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:40 pm

@HowlingFear. Losing $900 million when your net worth is over $35 billion isn't a good thing regaurdless of worldwide sales.

@CruSega. SEGA's future 3rd party platform as of 2012 will be entirely digital & downloadable content.

HowlingFear
fire

Post#14 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:48 pm

CruSega wrote:
HowlingFear wrote:

Do we want them to? I mean, I have all the respect for the big N but as Sega fanboys, something has to give in the market if we want to see a new Sega console, however slim that may be. Three's a Mario Party, Four Consoles next generation is a crowd with Sega being the odd man out.

Then again, watching Nintendo struggle might get Sammy even more nervous and make Sega stick to being a 3rd party co. for life. With each passing year, Sega is becoming more synonymous with the 1990s along with Snapple, Napster, Kris Kros and the Reebok Pumps.

I got your point bro.
Well, I personally do not consider myself a fanboy. I love and respect all those who bring us decent moments while we are holding the controller.
As for Sega - I'm convinced that their fate only in their hands regardless of what Nintendo or Sony/Microsoft/Apple do.

HowlingFear
fire

Post#15 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:51 pm

MrSega wrote:@HowlingFear. Losing $900 million when your net worth is over $35 billion isn't a good thing regaurdless of worldwide sales.

@CruSega. SEGA's future 3rd party platform as of 2012 will be entirely digital & downloadable content.

Why couldn't they bring these money back ? Again, most of the biggest 3DS games are about to be released through the end 2011/2012, which will definetely increase their income..

MrSega

Post#16 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:01 am

HowlingFear wrote:
MrSega wrote:@HowlingFear. Losing $900 million when your net worth is over $35 billion isn't a good thing regaurdless of worldwide sales.

Why couldn't they bring these money back ? Again, most of the biggest 3DS games are about to be released through the end 2011/2012, which will definetely increase their income..

3DS is not a flop. Its lackluster. Nintendo doesn't need just stronger 3rd party support for 3DS, they need to redesign it with smartphone features and show consumers that thier not behind the times.

CruSega
Doom

Post#17 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Was flipping through Sony Power, umm I mean, Edge magazine today and the PS-Vita looks like the next big portable. If it fails to meet expectations, tablets would seem to be the future of portable gaming.

CruSega
Doom

Post#18 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:02 pm

I got your point bro.
Well, I personally do not consider myself a fanboy. I love and respect all those who bring us decent moments while we are holding the controller.
As for Sega - I'm convinced that their fate only in their hands regardless of what Nintendo or Sony/Microsoft/Apple do.

In my opinion, the last time fate was in Sega's hands was the Saturn release. With DC, they righted everything they did wrong with Saturn and still couldn't compete with the PS2.

Lightning needs to hit the same spot at the same hour on the day Sonic 1 was released on the Genesis for Sega to become a successful console manufacturer again. Maybe I'm wrong.....Likely I'm right. Now, back to my MC Hammer CDs!

CruSega
Doom

Post#19 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:04 pm

MrSega wrote:
HowlingFear wrote:

3DS is not a flop. Its lackluster. Nintendo doesn't need just stronger 3rd party support for 3DS, they need to redesign it with smartphone features and show consumers that thier not behind the times.

Its all about apps today. With no physical storage, 3DS cannot compete since it has no apps store. And rehashing titles from the N64 is hardly my idea of ground-breaking either.