VALVE considering developing hardware

This forum is closed. Rumor and speculation topics about future Sega consoles are no longer allowed in any forum section as of 2/22/2012
User avatar
Logic
core
Posts: 120

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#11 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:55 pm

MrSega wrote:VALVE is a niche brand, mostly known to the PC gaming community. I remember Half-Life. But fact is, its being overshadowed by garbage like Modern Warfare.


VALVE would still remain niche, regardless if they launched a Steam based machine like On-Live.


My response was geared towards your claim that "Valve is little known". I make no comment, and attempt to make no derivative as to whether or not Valve hardware would be successful.

I point out several of their more successful titles, most of which are multi platform. Whether one believes these games deserved awards or not is irrelevant to the fact that these games received these awards and that thousands of people were there witnessing it, millions of people having bought these games across multiple platforms and Millions more tuning in for these award ceremonies as well as conferences.

Valve is well known, but being well known won't guarantee success, especially when Steam users are somewhat polarized as to the software platform that they already run, as Steam has had it's fair share of critics.
Freedoms:
1,2,3,4. The whole can benefit

stu
Feet of Fury
Posts: 578

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#12 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:56 pm

MistaBuck wrote:I read something about it on gamespy (I can't link it b/c i'm on my 3DS' browser lol)

It was mostly about Half Life, but Gabe Newell did say a big thing about potentially going into some kind of hardware. He Didn't say anything specific, though.

If by hardware they mean a "video game console", than i'm all for it. I like what they're doing with steam, and would love to see what they can do with their own hardware. imo if any developer is in the shape for developing any console, it'd be Valve.

...That is, if this is any kind of indicator for a console from them.


PS: just a fyi, I still like Sega, but i'm not a "fanboy" anymore. I've gone back to my roots: Nintendo, and the Anime fandom. sorry brohams :(

I'll still post here though! XD



Hmm thats pretty interesting. I saw this mentioned on Fudzilla.com as well

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26007 ... l-hardware?


Quote: "This bombshell dropped by Newell could be nothing more than posturing on how big Steam is these days. However, it could be that Newell is dipping his toe in the water in a calculated manner, so to speak, to see how the legions of Steam fans react.

The reality is it would not cost that much these days for a company the size of Valve to produce some sort of a gaming console, and it already has developed Steam which would serve as the backbone of the sales of software for the console and the social aspects necessary to connect the gamers with each other both to play games and interact. When you think about it that way, it almost seems that Valve should think about moving forward.

While Newell plays it off as if he really doesn’t have any interest in making or building hardware, we would not be so sure. With a number of off-the-shelf solutions, it could almost be done fairly quickly; and they could be very competitive right out of the gate because of the use of Steam to market the product. Maybe Newell doesn’t think that it is a good idea, but we have to admit that since it brought up the idea it is rather interesting to consider what Valve could do if they were to get in the hardware game."


Looks like it was talked about in an interview with Penny Arcade.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editoria ... hether-w/1


It sure could be an interesting development and with the growing number of developers and publishers on Steam (including Sega), it could develop in to something quite big.

The only question for me is whether they would go PC based system, or go with a more customized approach. If I were to speculate I would probably say that they'd go with a PC based console, since Steam is mostly PC based. If they were to do that then they might want to look at talking to Dell/Alienware, since they have just released a console-like PC.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399010,00.asp

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl
Posts: 529

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#13 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:31 pm

I had never heard of that alienware thing. It looks pretty neat but 240 watt power supply?!?! I guess it doesn't matter if the parts are built around it and it isn't customizable but still, that strikes me as way too low to handle those specs but I admittedly know very little about the XX5 model Nvidia graphics cards and I don't imagine they have much support either. Still, seems like a cool concept.

MrSega

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#14 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:43 pm

BrianC wrote:I had never heard of that alienware thing. It looks pretty neat but 240 watt power supply?!?! I guess it doesn't matter if the parts are built around it and it isn't customizable but still, that strikes me as way too low to handle those specs but I admittedly know very little about the XX5 model Nvidia graphics cards and I don't imagine they have much support either. Still, seems like a cool concept.


Alienware? That brand is sooo 2003.

While its still probably one of the most well know PC gaming circle brands, its never going to resonate outside of the PC gaming base.

Plus, that Alienware model looks too much like the defunct Phantom.

Comrade Snarky
Vagabond
Posts: 714

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#15 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:58 pm

MrSega wrote:Alienware? That brand is sooo 2003.

While its still probably one of the most well know PC gaming circle brands, its never going to resonate outside of the PC gaming base.

Plus, that Alienware model looks too much like the defunct Phantom.


Sooooo 2003? Alienware is still a really popular brand. Wanting a new Sega console… that's soooo 2003, on the other hand.

As for Valve not being a very well known company, that's a little absurd. Steam has around 40 million active user accounts. I don't think any Sega console ever sold that many. I'm not implying that Steam is a console, but that's a pretty staggering number.

User avatar
Logic
core
Posts: 120

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#16 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:06 pm

Close, but could still technically be true depending on.

The Genesis sales estimate pegs it at 37-41 Million I believe.
Freedoms:
1,2,3,4. The whole can benefit

MrSega

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#17 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:47 pm

Logic wrote:Close, but could still technically be true depending on.

The Genesis sales estimate pegs it at 37-41 Million I believe.

42 Million estimated by 1998, if I'm not mistaken.

Snarky, you don't think SEGA has access to Steam techology? Well they do & the upcomming tablet will run entirely on Steam.

But this topic ain't about SEGA, its about VALVE considering making an On-Live like console that'll be just as niche. Please try to stay on topic.

stu
Feet of Fury
Posts: 578

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#18 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:15 pm

MrSega wrote:
Snarky, you don't think SEGA has access to Steam techology? Well they do & the upcomming tablet will run entirely on Steam.


Hmm what tablet is that then? Not read anything about that in the mainstream press.

MrSega wrote:But this topic ain't about SEGA, its about VALVE considering making an On-Live like console that'll be just as niche. Please try to stay on topic.


Says the person who starts talking about a non Valve manufactured tablet that he claims will "will run entirely on Steam" , in a thread about Valve developing hardware


Kettle meet Pot..... :roll:

MrSega

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#19 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:27 pm

stu wrote:
MrSega wrote:
Snarky, you don't think SEGA has access to Steam techology? Well they do & the upcomming tablet will run entirely on Steam.


Hmm what tablet is that then? Not read anything about that in the mainstream press.

MrSega wrote:But this topic ain't about SEGA, its about VALVE considering making an On-Live like console that'll be just as niche. Please try to stay on topic.


Says the person who starts talking about a non Valve manufactured tablet that he claims will "will run entirely on Steam" , in a thread about Valve developing hardware








Are you trying to start shit with me? Pointless personal troll attacks won't be tolarated.

Stay on topic or else I'll report you for drifting OT for the purpose of personally trolling other users.

Kettle meet Pot..... :roll:

stu
Feet of Fury
Posts: 578

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#20 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:34 pm

MrSega wrote:[Are you trying to start shit with me? Pointless personal troll attacks won't be tolarated.

Stay on topic or else I'll report you for drifting OT for the purpose of personally trolling other users.



Actually I was pointing out that you telling Snarky to stay on topic, when in fact you also drifted off topic yourself, sounded kinda hypocritical.

But whatever, report me if you want...

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Rumors/Speculation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users