VALVE considering developing hardware

This forum is closed. Rumor and speculation topics about future Sega consoles are no longer allowed in any forum section as of 2/22/2012
MrSega

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#31 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:42 pm

@Snarky. The library of Steam content makes absolutely zero difference in reaching a wide market. There isn't a million non PC gamers that are going to rush out & buy a Steam based console bearing VALVE's name.

Plus there's no evidence that such a hybrid exists. So far these articles show that there is only a prototype concept.

stu
Feet of Fury
Posts: 578

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#32 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:00 pm

MrSega wrote:@Snarky. The library of Steam content makes absolutely zero difference in reaching a wide market. There isn't a million non PC gamers that are going to rush out & buy a Steam based console bearing VALVE's name.

Plus there's no evidence that such a hybrid exists. So far these articles show that there is only a prototype concept.



And? Your point?

This is a speculation forum, where people speculate on stuff. There was an interview where Valve said that they may look at building their own hardware, we are now speculating on that.

Pretty easy concept to grasp I think.

MrSega

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#33 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:33 pm

The Penny Arcade article is now up at Gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/news/valve-will ... ll-6350822

That's funny, its mentions nothing about a Steam based VALVE console. But states parts if an interview with Gabe Newell that VALVE is considering selling "some type of hardware in the distance future IF we have to" while he doesn't specificly state what he's talking about. And rambles on about Steam gaming while making no context that that their planning such a thing.

So it would seem that several people have taken Gabe's interview completely out of context. There's no VALVE Steam console,noir is there evidence that they are even working on one. Just an "Idea" that they are considering in the distant future.

Case Closed.

Comrade Snarky
Vagabond
Posts: 714

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#34 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:04 pm

MrSega wrote:The Penny Arcade article is now up at Gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/news/valve-will ... ll-6350822

That's funny, its mentions nothing about a Steam based VALVE console. But states parts if an interview with Gabe Newell that VALVE is considering selling "some type of hardware in the distance future IF we have to" while he doesn't specificly state what he's talking about. And rambles on about Steam gaming while making no context that that their planning such a thing.

So it would seem that several people have taken Gabe's interview completely out of context. There's no VALVE Steam console,noir is there evidence that they are even working on one. Just an "Idea" that they are considering in the distant future.

Case Closed.


We don't get to discuss the possibility of Valve hardware that is actually being discussed by the company's founder? There's more evidence of a Valve console than a Sega console, especially if Newell did mention some kind of hardware, even if nonspecifically.

If that's your attitude, then… well, shut up about Orbi. Sega has said they're not working on new hardware for the past 11 years. Case closed.

Or you could just let us do some speculating, that you say is oh so important. Because hey, there's nothing wrong with speculating? Right? Right?

MrSega

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#35 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:25 pm

@Snarky. If you want to speculate on what a VALVE Steam console would be like & what concepts they would have, thats perfectly fine here in this topic. Just don't take Gabe Newell's word's out of context.

Also don't bring up SEGA. We have topics for that & I'm already trying to prevent this from turning into a "Sega can't/is not making hardware" stupid OT rant.

User avatar
Logic
core
Posts: 120

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#36 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Nobody in this thread has made a positive claim that Valve is making hardware. It's been limited to our difference in thought whether as to if it wold be successful or not.

The articles are not out of context. Wearable computers are referenced properly to a single thought of which Newell made clear his thoughts on, and the Gamestop interpretation is just as valid stating that Valve will sell hardware if it has to as the title, which is more or less paraphrased from the actual article itself.

The title of this thread itself, while vague is still more or less is accurate to a degree

Because it has been mentioned, and the though is within his head, it is reasonable to believe that Valve, should the need arise, will make hardware. However a need has not arisen, Valve is doing fine. Every conversation onwards has been about "good or bad impact", not "It exist it doesn't."

Only on the 4th page has any post tried to lay claim to existance/non existance.
Freedoms:
1,2,3,4. The whole can benefit

MrSega

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#37 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:19 pm

@Logic. That seems fair enough.

My opinion? A Steam based console sounds good on paper but it would need a few years of R&D for it to even do well or catch on mainstream. Releasing it before the second half of this decade would be ill advised. Like I said, Steam needs to be pitched by a well known global gaming brand before it has a chance to break the PC mold.

User avatar
everynewday84
Nemesis
Posts: 633

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#38 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:14 pm

MrSega wrote:So it would seem that several people have taken Gabe's interview completely out of context. There's no VALVE Steam console,noir is there evidence that they are even working on one. Just an "Idea" that they are considering in the distant future.

Case Closed.


Wow. Just.... Wow.

If sega had an "idea" that they were considering for the distant future that would mean very much speculating from the likes of you... The fact is, sega is on record saying that such "ideas" are not viable for the company and are a complete waste of company resources. Yet, somehow that case is not "closed"

So, you want to have your cake and eat it too? :lol:
This is a message to you:
Do what you love; Love what you do.
Image

stu
Feet of Fury
Posts: 578

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#39 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:32 pm

everynewday84 wrote:
MrSega wrote:So it would seem that several people have taken Gabe's interview completely out of context. There's no VALVE Steam console,noir is there evidence that they are even working on one. Just an "Idea" that they are considering in the distant future.

Case Closed.


Wow. Just.... Wow.

If sega had an "idea" that they were considering for the distant future that would mean very much speculating from the likes of you... The fact is, sega is on record saying that such "ideas" are not viable for the company and are a complete waste of company resources. Yet, somehow that case is not "closed"

So, you want to have your cake and eat it too? :lol:



There we have it folks! Perfectly summed up! :lol:

MrSega

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#40 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:01 pm

@Everydaynew84. Wow you really are a troll!

Geez, SHUT UP and get back on topic & STOP trying to start a flamewar.

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Rumors/Speculation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users