Looking for help with WinCE development for dreamcast

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

mrneo240
Rank 9

Looking for help with WinCE development for dreamcast

Post#1 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:50 pm

Hello,

I wasn't sure if it was ok to post this but here we go.
Here's what I got:
No devkits. Just PC, Dreamcasts, emulators and knowledge.
WinCE SDK 2.1 fully setup and working
WinCE SDK 1.0 fully setup and working

With both I can compile sample apps and then replace the executable on a wince game and have it run.

My problem is actually getting the WinCE image. The SDK help files are fairly helpful but Im stuck on actually creating the image to put on a disk.

If I've read it correctly and understood it I'm supposed to run the "wce.bat" and be in the right environment. I got that working because I can compile projects from there. Then you are supposed to change to issue a command to change to a directory and run "makeimg"

The"makeimg" command fails for me and complains about not being to merge a file (nlssrc.txt). Has anyone used this whole environment before and been able to successfully build their own image instead of just copying over the .exe?

I can run the platform configuration tool and set up how the image should be but I can actually build it.

Thanks a bunch!

mrneo240
Rank 9

Re: Looking for help with WinCE development for dreamcast

Post#2 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:16 am

No replies but I figured it out in the end.
Made working defense commander and internet explorer discs.

maximqad
noob

Post#3 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:48 am

Hello! I interested in porting Xash3D to DC with WinCE. I rewrote main executable code with WinCE SDK. But I need help with scrambling it and running on a emulator. I'm looking for a detailed guide of building and launching / debugging wince exe on emulator.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:46 pm

Good luck and all, but even on OG Xbox Xash3d is unable to be run on 64mb of ram, or was last time I checked a few months ago. Modded systems with added ram can do it, but it is just way too big to go on the Xbox even after all is said and done, it still needs lots of optimization. Here is the thread for that port if you need any pointers.

http://www.emuxtras.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5278

So the idea it can be done on DC is a bit problematic, but I would love to see it for sure! It is one of my favorite games of all time if you can't tell from my avatar.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#5 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:15 am

maximqad wrote:Hello! I interested in porting Xash3D to DC with WinCE. I rewrote main executable code with WinCE SDK. But I need help with scrambling it and running on a emulator. I'm looking for a detailed guide of building and launching / debugging wince exe on emulator.

Simple like anything else.
Run it through bincon then choose scrambled or hacked ip

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#6 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:48 am

Out of curiosity, what internet explorer???