Trouble Burning CDI, Tried Everything!

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

heylookitsmatt
shadow

Trouble Burning CDI, Tried Everything!

Post#1 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:46 pm

I have a few CDI files, which I am pretty sure are self booting images. I want to burn them to run on the used Dreamcast I got the other day. It runs an official copy of UFC just fine. Here is what I have tried so far:

-Burn with BootDreams (DiscJuggler tab)
-Load image with Daemon Tools and copy with Alchohol 120
-Extract files with Daemon Tools and burn them to disc directly
-Extract files with Daemon Tools and create a self booting image (using several programs) to burn with Alchohol 120
-Extract files with Daemon Tools and burn with BootDreams (CDRecord tab)
-Burn with Nero
-Burn with Alchohol 120
-And a lot of other things. I've used almost a whole pack of CD-Rs!

I am using 700MB FujiFilm discs burning them no faster than 8x. What am I doing wrong!?

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: Trouble Burning CDI, Tried Everything!

Post#2 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:01 pm

Well, are you changing up on the iso you are burning?

What I mean is if you are burning the same "NFL 2k2" ISO everytime with your various other means, then this would most likely prove to be the ISO is bad. If you are using various ISO's, then the issue is either software related, bad CD burner or the discs you have are bad. Typically the blank CD-ROMs are not bad so it is at the bottom of my suspect list.

Without the answer to my questions, I am betting it is a bad ISO.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

heylookitsmatt
shadow

Post#3 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:18 pm

Thanks for the hasty response. I've tried a slew of CDIs and none of them are working. I just got the system and the only game I have working is UFC, which is an official copy. I've never burned DC isos before, but I've burned PC-CDs with no problem. Every attempt so far either has the Dreamcast boot up at the menu, or boots the disc thinking it is an audio CD (which plays nothing.) Maybe I am completely misunderstanding the tutorials. None of them have really been dumbed down to the disc-burning-newb level.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#4 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:48 pm

Most DC players use the pure version of DiscJuggler (otherwords, do not use Boot Dreams). This is important if you are working with a CDI ISO (like NFL2k2.CDI). I have had "ZERO" success with Boot Dreams. Once again, it looks like you are also using the same ISO (I'm only guessing at this point being you did not state otherwise). My suggestion is to burn something other than the ISO file you are trying to burn.

My suggestion is to try the link below for Crazy Taxi. Also get a copy of DiscJuggler.

CRAZY TAXI:
Link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H8WSCZZ2
Code:
http://snesorama.us

DISCJUGGLER:
http://www.padus.com/downloads/demo.php

It's free but limits your burn speed. It does works great!

Good luck and let us know how you do with this...
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#5 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:09 pm

I always use cdi2nero (free), which converts it to a nero image (.img) in a few seconds, then I burn it with nero

has yet to fail me
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

heylookitsmatt
shadow

Post#6 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:00 pm

No and no again. This is seriously starting to annoy me!

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#7 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:06 pm

Some of the things I've done with cdi2nero regarding Dreamcast has not worked, but if I use DiscJuggler it did. I am guilty of still doing the nero conversion, but it seems that if certain unnamed people are involved, this process is a bad fit. Particularly NFL2k2 and two other indigenous to dreamcast-talk that I tried. Smith had to walk me through one (boy, was I embarrassed).
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#8 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:09 pm

heylookitsmatt wrote:No and no again. This is seriously starting to annoy me!

No #1:
I guess that means you will not use another ISO.

No #2:
I guess this means you have not nor wil use DiscJuggler.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

heylookitsmatt
shadow

Post#9 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:47 pm

1- I've said several times now that I'm using several different isos. 2- I didn't mean that I wouldn't try, I meant that I have tried and it didn't work (hence my being annoyed; I'm not annoyed at you, just at the problem.) I tried DiscJuggler, and I tried the Nero conversion and burned with Nero Express. I'm out of ideas.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#10 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:06 am

I understand your frustration. We all have been there, but your issue is the most extreme I have seen in the Dreamcast world. Your last posts clearly spell out what you have tried. In short, you've definately done everything known to man. All I can say is that there is a site called Copy Clones which sell backups at cost (link below). I've had great success with them being a couple of my original games were attacked by my little one to "unplayability". They charge $2.00 a CD, a fair price for the CD, time and PC burner usage.

This is the best I can suggest for you at this time. I really am sorry that things are not working out for you in Dreamcast land. I'm out of ideas, sorry I could not provide you with a better solution.

http://www.geocities.com/ccsite2k5/
Regards,
Bob Dobbs