Dreamcast LAN games on Xlink kai?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

mrneo240
Rank 9

Re: Dreamcast LAN games on Xlink kai?

Post#21 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:15 pm

Give me a little bit, I'll post it later tonight. Gotta finish something first, working on rendering APIs sucks.

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#22 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:48 am

Roareye wrote:Depends. Could be a direct connection from Serial to DreamPi, then use broadband speeds to emulate the connection. Broadband speeds must be faster than the speeds expected of an old serial connection, surely?

There's broadband "speed" (bandwidth) and then there's latency (travel time) . A link cable is probably sending small amounts of data, but with virtually no latency. Sending data over the internet introduces significant latency no matter what your "speed" is. At best you could probably get Netlink via VOIP type results.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#23 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:18 am

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:
Roareye wrote:Depends. Could be a direct connection from Serial to DreamPi, then use broadband speeds to emulate the connection. Broadband speeds must be faster than the speeds expected of an old serial connection, surely?

There's broadband "speed" (bandwidth) and then there's latency (travel time) . A link cable is probably sending small amounts of data, but with virtually no latency. Sending data over the internet introduces significant latency no matter what your "speed" is. At best you could probably get Netlink via VOIP type results.

Great to see you back RPG Fan!

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#24 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:26 pm

2018-02-22 14_26_09-dc.doc  -  Compatibility Mode - Word.png

WingMantis
dark night

Post#25 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:58 pm

itsthinkingstill wrote:

Anyone know how many bits the serial connection uses on the DC? Surly it cant just be one bit

I think it is 2Mbps. Could be wrong

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#26 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:07 pm

lol how're you going to LAN Dreamcasts?

Idn't LAN only featured over ethernet connection..?

Windows9X
photon blast

Post#27 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:32 pm

Man, i pretty much play XLink Kai every day, with my Original Xbox.. Tony Hawk, XIII, Dead Man's Hand.. Counter-Strike..

Hell yeah, LAN would be cool but i'm going to be straight forward with you: The developers of XLink honestly don't care about requests and this has been brought up in their official discord many times with mostly negative attitude. If this was really going to happen, custom tunneling software would need to be written; You won't be able to rely on Xlink. The developers are *****, usually. I've starred that word just to be clean towards the community, but it's brutally true.

I do however think the servers, as PC said, would be a better idea and definitely more 'efficient' in the long run.

Sorry to bump; I just wanted to clarify this.
Author of original DreamPi Companion..

megavolt85
Developer

Post#28 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:12 pm

Xiden
Developer

Post#29 » Sat May 25, 2019 2:28 am

Easiest way to play these games would be over something like parsec. If someone made a usb to dc adapter people could play off a real console instead of emulation.

Example:
https://youtu.be/uTlwVyWobRc

megavolt85
Developer

Post#30 » Sat May 25, 2019 11:24 am

i'm have coders cable
if at someone is too, then it is possible to try to connect