Beta Testers Wanted for a Dreamcast Web Gaming Portal

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Beta Testers Wanted for a Dreamcast Web Gaming Portal

Post#1 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:08 am

Instructions:
  1. Go to http://www.nz17.com/interactive/dreamca ... ls/01.html with your Dreamcast.
  2. Click the "Start Trial" button with your mouse or DC controller. The page will appear to be "frozen" for a few seconds while the page counts from 1 to 10,000,000.
  3. Report back here with the trial's time from that Web page and the Dreamcast Web browser which you used. If you only get a blank page by going there, then report that too.

Original post:
Right now this is kind of an interest check, but who here would like to be a beta tester for an online Dreamcast game collection/hub? I'm taking a different approach than usual to Dreamcast game development: the Web. In other words, gaming via your Dreamcast's Web browsers! There's no need to burn CD-R's or use costly hardware this way!

Requirements for potential participants: The ability to go online with a Dreamcast Web browser to the actual Internet. It doesn't matter which DC Web browser you use, or if you are using a real Dreamcast or an emulator, or if you are using BBA, PPP (dial-up), or DreamPi. However, the more options you have at your disposal, the better for the purposes of the trials.

The idea: To make a collection of game(s) which you can get to via a Web browser, whether by DC or other hardware/platforms. However, the experience will be optimized for Dreamcasts and dial-up speeds.

The business model: There will be no subscription fees nor "premium" content. Support for this initiative will be through a Patreon account contributed to by the community. As long as there is enough financial support to continue, the project will continue!

The guarantee: There is no reason to create nor support something which will live or die by one person or a single group's whims alone. Therefore, to ensure that this project can continue on for as long as there is interest, the code will be released under open source terms such as the AGPL license or a Creative Commons license! That way people can take the project's files and create their own independent projects freely!

So, who wants to give this a try?
Last edited by Nz17 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Re: Beta Testers Wanted for a Dreamcast Web Gaming Portal

Post#2 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:47 am

I thought of this exact idea. count me in.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#3 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:23 am

Yes I'll try

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#4 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:58 pm

Which browsers do you all have?

Dakem
noob

Post#5 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:46 pm

I'm in.

seganut22
shadow

Post#6 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:02 pm

I will try

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#7 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:45 am

Looks like life is throwing me a curve ball. A lot is changing in my life lately. I might not be able to go forward with this project due to time and money constraints. This project will take a lot of time and as much as I'd like to spend a lot of time on it, realistically it won't make much money, and at this point in my life, I really need to make more monthly revenue out of consideration for myself, my parents, and my grandparent, and our collective future.

But I'm still going to mentally bookmark the idea of DC Web games for the future in case my situation changes.

With that said, which Dreamcast browser has the best JavaScript performance?

ZiggyTheHamster
shadow

Post#8 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:16 am

I thought all the DC browsers didn't support JavaScript?

NeoSnk
Outtrigger

Post#9 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:51 am

I'm totally in it! Just let me know how can I help you :)
For tutorials and homebrews access Titan Game Studios: https://titangamestudioscom.wordpress.com/
For interviews and gameplay support me on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@NaiAdventure/featured

Wilco
lithium

Post#10 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:57 pm

I am in 100% Sounds like an awesome idea. :D
Kid With The Play