Adventure Game Studio (AGS) for Dreamcast?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Adventure Game Studio (AGS) for Dreamcast?

Post#1 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:18 am

tl;dr Anyone want to port this please?

So I was browsing the contents of https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ ... master/PSP after discovering that Adventure Game Studio had gone open source. Looking there, it seems that the official PSP port of AGS engine uses all open source libraries so porting it to Dreamcast should be easier than otherwise. Now the notes mention how games are limited to 320x240 resolution for the PSP port and that you should use a PSP-2000 or newer to utilize the 64 MB of RAM which the newer PSP's have to accommodate the demands of most AGS games.

This all got me to thinking that, even though Dreamcast has only 16 MB of RAM, that it should be possible to run "small" AGS games on the DC if AGS were ported to it. What I mean is, people could make new Dreamcast-targeted adventure games that could also see release on other platforms such as Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iOS, and PSP. All which you would require when making a game is to make sure each room in the game is small enough to fit within the RAM limit by making them four times smaller than average. Otherwise a game could be as long as you'd like in terms of the number of rooms!

Long story short, if some kind, technical soul were to port Adventure Game Studio to Dreamcast, it would make making new Dreamcast games much easier as the AGS editor is a friendly game development environment that can be used on modern PC's.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Re: Adventure Game Studio (AGS) for Dreamcast?

Post#2 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:46 am

commenting to follow.

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#3 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:46 pm

I wish I was that kinda tech soul. This sounds like an awesome prospect . Sadly I lack the know how to do this. But hopefully somebody picks this up

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#4 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:30 pm

If this gets ported to Dreamcast, I will make a game for it.

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#5 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:12 pm

Anyone?