PowerslaveEX source port?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

PowerslaveEX source port?

Post#1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:29 pm

So people have discussed how great it would be to have source ports of Duke Nukem 3D(That actually WORKS) and Doom 64 EX. While those are valid requests as those are some of my favorite games, what about PowerslaveEX?

For those not aware, the original PC and Saturn version of Powerslave aka Exhumed in Europe, was inferior to the PSX port. Well the guy who brought us a native PC version of Doom 64, also worked on bringing the PSX version of Powerslave to PC and also released the source code for it.

https://github.com/svkaiser/PowerslaveEX

I think it would be extremely awesome to have this game on the Dreamcast. What say you?

Edit: You can download the full game here if you would like to play it on PC.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5vfqhqazo ... 1.1%29.zip

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Re: PowerslaveEX source port?

Post#2 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:24 pm

the problem is the code uses SDL 2.0, and AFAIK, KOS only supports SDL 1.2

that, and i'd assume the code wasn't written with a 16mb RAM \ 200mhz CPU target in mind, like Duke 3D, Doom, and Quake were

looks like a cool game though
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:26 am

Damn yeah you are right. I checked and Doom 64 EX uses SDL 1.2 though.

Alextended
shadow

Post#4 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:30 am

I found this thread while looking for a fix to the mouse controls of Powerslave Ex. Sadly I found none. The good news is that Nightdive which has hired this guy and brought out games like Turok Ex on PC will release Powerslave Ex (and Forsaken Ex and others) officially as was recently revealed so I assume that version will be improved and fixed. You can always play the existing Powerslave Ex with a gamepad, that doesn't present the mouse control issues and is more faithful to the original.

However, you sir are a liar! The PC "version" (if you can call it that, it's a wholly different experience using the same sprites/textures/music/etc.) is indeed quite awful and inferior to the PlayStation version, however the Saturn version is arguably superior as it includes more elaborate level design that allows for sequence breaking thanks to the ability to "grenade jump" with a certain weapon, something you can't do in the PlayStation version. It only lacks some detail geometry in places but more than makes up for it with often larger spaces and sections the PlayStation version is missing altogether. Plus the basic crab enemy is a neater red sprite instead of the PlayStation's blue scorpions :P

Way better video for the game and its various versions courtesy of Digital Foundry Retro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCsO8O4W4Fw

I'm hoping the official Powerslave Ex release will include both the PlayStation and Saturn campaigns so you can appreciate the superioty of the latter. Alternatively it should only include the Saturn version but that's not likely seeing as the previous unofficial release only had the PlayStation version. Either way the real game (so, either PSX or Saturn, not PC) is a must play for every old school FPS fan, although you can't really call it old school given its design was so far ahead of its time and only revisited in far more recent games like the Metroid Prime series.
Last edited by Alextended on Fri May 04, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Fri May 04, 2018 2:13 pm

How dare you call me a liar! I take offense to that. Getting something "mistaken" is better a term don't you think? Coming in here with only 1 post to your name and calling me a liar is pretty fucked up. Where are your manners? I was going from another post that said it was the PSX version he ported over! I simply said the PSX port was superior to the PC version because I got info from another post on reddit that called out a guy who was actually saying Saturn was superior!

Great way to come in here and make first impressions.

Alextended
shadow

Post#6 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:43 pm

My apologies, I didn't realize you're 12 years old and haven't been on the internet long enough to recognize a joke when you see it. Now I have 2 posts here maybe you can appreciate my information more than previously with 1 :roll:

If the other post you mention said it's the PSX version he ported over then it was right, indeed Powerslave Ex is a port of the PSX version. How exactly do you extrapolate that to mean that the PSX version is better than the Saturn version? Now you just claim you said it's better than the PC version. Again, that is correct, the PSX version is better than the PC version, I already said that, but you also said it's better than the Saturn version, which is wrong.

Why would you confidently write anything without verifying it just because of "another post" and spread misinformation about a topic you now say you don't know enough about? Do you believe everything you see on the internet even though you have like 2000 posts on a Dreamcast forum which should indicate a certain amount of know how about gaming and the internet at large? Anyway, people need to play this gem of a game, refer to my previous post for actual information and ignore the petty childish squabble, over and out :lol:

Editing this one time since this is still the last post to mention Nightdive's Powerslave Exhumed version is now the definitive way to play the game. It has remixed elements from the Saturn and PS versions, some higher res sprites from the PC game and their own improvements and changes that are so fitting you will think that's how it always was but no, they've added more variety and visual flair.