PC TO DC Ports

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

PC TO DC Ports

Post#1 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:16 pm

Found this site , can any make sense explain what this could mean?

http://gamedev.allusion.net/softprj/kos/index.php

Jenkins
MicroMidget

Re: PC TO DC Ports

Post#2 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:41 pm

KallistiOS is a free and open source development system for Dreamcast. If you want to write your own games from scratch this would be the best way to start. Examples, drivers, some libs etc. are included. You could even sell them commercially as long as you don't use (non-free) properties from others.

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#3 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 pm

To give a slightly more in-depth reply...

KallistiOS is the most widely-used homebrew development library/SDK for the Dreamcast. Basically, it is a collection of code that helps you interface with the hardware of the system in a fairly coherent manner. It also provides several nice abstractions to make development easier and more PC-like (such as hooks for many standard C library functions, a TCP/UDP IPv4 and IPv6 stack with BSD-compatible (ish) sockets, and several add-on libraries that have been ported to it). Basically, it's something that programmers can use to make games/applications/etc for the Dreamcast. Yes, it's possible to use it to help in porting stuff from a PC, but it doesn't do that for you -- there's still an awful lot of work in most cases to make something work with KallistiOS that wasn't necessarily designed for it.

I'm the current maintainer of KallistiOS, although I'm not the original author.

Jenkins
MicroMidget

Post#4 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:00 am

Thanks bluecrab, who can give a better anwser to this topic than you :lol:

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:13 pm

So what can kos now do better then .. The version i use and know kos.1.19 can you tell me.. FIle loading CPP, openGL ,

I use my own file loading i built in to the old kos1.19 i hope it maybe more complete now