Summoning Signals/The Hideout - coming out in 2024?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Summoning Signals - indie game coming out in 2020

Post#11 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:52 pm

Very awesome!

lerabot
blackout!

Post#12 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:08 pm

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

I've updated the original post with the most recent alpha build (v03) I've made, and some roadmap for where we're at right now and what's coming for this project.
Indie Game Studio

lerabot
blackout!

Post#13 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:13 pm

It's been almost 3 months since my last post but it feels like forever...

I've been "working" from home these past couple weeks and let's just say that Summoning Signals evolved quite a bit.... I've also drafted most of the game narrative and area, meaning that I have a better idea of the scale of the game. And that feels nice.

* There will be 15 (more or less) area for you to explore.
* The game's main quest should take around 1 hours to complete but there will be many short side-quest.
* Currently, the 2 first quests are working pretty well, still need tweaking and better writing.
* I've been drafting a VMU based game mechanic that will add more "dreamcast" flavor to the game ;)
* The game as a pretty unique Radio system where you can receive transmission from people on the planet. What you hear on the radio might (or might not ...) help you for future quest, unlock thing, etc.

So, I know 1 hour feels short but hear me out: I'd rather release a polished, interesting Dreamcast game in 2020 than drag a project forever. The hard thruth is that I'm mainly working on this alone (exepct for the music) and usually as a side project. Right now I have the opportunity to spend way more time on Summoning Signal and I'd like to use this to the fullest to complete this project than move on... maybe to another DC project ;)

Here's a draft of the latest area I've been working on (the arcades) https://streamable.com/vv5ow6

Oh, and also;

I'm currently looking for people who would like to write 1 (or more) radio transmission for the game. These need to be short (3-7 lines of text) Think of them like short poems. Also, they can be "chained", meaning that you could receive the first part at some point in the game, then receive another one later in the game. If you're interested, please send me a direct message and I'll tell you more :)
Indie Game Studio

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#14 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:15 am

lerabot wrote: So, I know 1 hour feels short but hear me out: I'd rather release a polished, interesting Dreamcast game in 2020 than drag a project forever. The hard thruth is that I'm mainly working on this alone (exepct for the music) and usually as a side project. Right now I have the opportunity to spend way more time on Summoning Signal and I'd like to use this to the fullest to complete this project than move on... maybe to another DC project ;)

I'm excited for this and I totally agree - I'd rather play a nicely polished 1 hour long game than see it abandoned or released in an unfinished state because the project became too big! Thanks for the update and good luck! :)
aka DavidHK on DC games.

lerabot
blackout!

Post#15 » Thu May 28, 2020 3:15 pm

Hello everyone, I've been working quite a bit on this project.

First of all, the project is still aiming for a 2020 release! Pretty exciting.
Here's a list of the latest updates

== V04 : Trails ==
- We have the first 3-4 quest fully implemented in the game. They might need some text/difficulty tweaks, but the content is all there.
- 7/15 area are completed.
- Implemented a simple but scalable repair mechanic.
- Audio is back in the game (but sparse at the time)
- OH! Support for the VMU screen is there. We already have some idea for VMU-based interaction.
- VMU save/load works, but the data management is not complete yet.
- Lot of quality of life update, tooltips, etc.

Thanks for following this project :)
Last edited by lerabot on Sat May 30, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indie Game Studio

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#16 » Thu May 28, 2020 3:26 pm

Looks very interesting indeed.

I really like the style and as someone else mentioned it's refreshing to see a game so different to everything else.

A thoughtful art house game for the Dreamcast, there are not too many of those.

Keep up the good work! :D

lerabot
blackout!

Post#17 » Fri May 29, 2020 5:45 pm

It is safe to say that there's around 15-20 minutes of playable content at this point. There's some other bits and pieces that aren't in the main game progression yet as well.

Our current strategy is to complete the main storyline and every "required" area, than we'll see how we can expend gameplay from that point.

Thank you for your kind comments.
Indie Game Studio

lerabot
blackout!

Post#18 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:06 pm

Hello everyone,

The demo is almost done! It works perfectly on PC but there are some minor issues with sound that I want to solve before releasing it to the public.

The demo will come out quite soon, and I suggest you suscribe to our mailing list over at https://summoningsignals.com to get the demo as soon as it get out!

Indie Game Studio

lerabot
blackout!

Post#19 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:24 pm

It took longer than we wished, but we are finally ready to release our demo.

We will post the download link on October 7th in this topic, meanwhile, you can suscribe to our newsletter if you want to get the game as soon as possible :)

See you next week
Indie Game Studio

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#20 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:27 pm

Looking forward to it!