Arcade Racing Legend: new 3D racer from JoshProd

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Re: Arcade Racing Legend: new 3D racer from JoshProd

Post#41 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:34 am

JoshProd created a Facebook page for the game, I assume further announcements regarding the game will be posted there: https://www.facebook.com/arcaderacinglegends
I assume the cars in the page header are the cars they want to put in the game.

Regarding the demo, it's hard to say at this point how the game will turn out. I assume the tracks are only placeholders from the mobile game. At least I hope so, because to be honest, those tracks seem very bland and unmemorable for me.

The physics is kinda weird. Very grippy, no sliding/drifting going on. When it comes to collision with other cars, it reminds me a lot of V-Rally 2: seems like you're doing fine, then boom, they spin you out in a nanosecond without you ever feeling it was coming.

About the Kickstarter, according to them it was supposed to start on the 21st, then on the 24th, now they're saying this week. There might be very reasonable and legit reasons for delaying it, but it just makes me even more skeptical about the whole thing. They also claimed they want to release the game at the end of 2019, but given it's almost July already, I just don't see that happening.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#42 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:31 pm

They're just (Josh)prodding us now.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#43 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:31 am

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#44 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:34 am

I gotta say, I'm not thrilled that he makes no mention in the Kickstarter that this is a port of an iOS game. A souped-up port maybe but a port none-the-less. It seems like he's trying to pass it off as a completely original game built for the Dreamcast which is really deceptive. I was thinking of supporting it for the possibility of online-play but the dishonesty about this project is turning me off.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

megavolt85
Developer

Post#45 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:00 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:this is a port of an iOS game.

From IOS game used only idea, engine used from 4x4 Jam
it is equivalent to what to make mods for any official game and then to sell it as new

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#46 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:04 am

For me the biggest problem is that it just looks 'meh' all around. After you get over the initial 'zomg, a fully 3D game indie game on the Dreamcast!' phase, there's really nothing to be excited by.

The fact that graphically it's only decent is not my biggest gripe, I doubt we'll ever get to 3D indie games on the DC that are gonna be on par with the official releases.

After playing the demo, I can say it's just not that much fun to control the car at all. No sliding/drifting, just hold down the gas and steer. Not much skill required.

Based on those pictures, seems like they're using the tracks from the mobile game as well. Having played the stage that was in the demo, that's a big disappointment as that stage was very short and unmemorable, and also bland looking. Looking at the pictures, the rest doesn't seem much better either. I was hoping they're gonna take the engine, and add completely new tracks to them. All the coolest cars in the world can't save a racing game if the tracks are all underwhelming to play.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#47 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:13 pm

JoshProd did say he was open to adding more tracks if the community had some already made they would like. He said they were modeled in 3DSMax.

I am hoping the game is pretty modable at least without the game source or SDK.

However I am excited that there is a stretch goal for online multiplayer.

Here is a new video of it as well.

SirNyan
dark night

Post#48 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:03 pm

My biggest concern with this project is the development costs. 75,000+ Euros seems way beyond the realm of reasonable. I understand he is hiring a professional development company to handle the project, but even then those numbers seem high to me. Most indie dreamcast games move less than 5,000 copies in their lifetime, so I don't see him ever making a profit.
Looking for awesome Independent Dreamcast games? Visit The Bit Station at www.thebitstationgames.com!

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#49 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:29 pm

This has disaster written all over it. Or rather, disaster was ported from iOS first, then written all over it.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#50 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:40 pm

I backed them with $1. Haven't decided if I'll take the plunge on this, but I'll keep an eye on it. I already have a few DC games I'm still waiting for, and I am real skeptical on video game kickstarters.

Their stretch goal numbers seem quite wonky. Apparently saving your game to the VMU requires 6X the original goal? Online play sounds wonderful, but its so far beyond what any Dreamcast Kickstarter has pulled. The most was what, Elysian Shadows? And we all saw how that turned out.