Arcade Racing Legend: new 3D racer from JoshProd

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Arcade Racing Legend: new 3D racer from JoshProd

Post#31 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:13 am

Yep that is exactly it. If you have the source code you can port the game to other systems. Otherwise you won't get very far.

You can see a nice list of games here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o ... ideo_games

But, even if you can't get Night Dive to sign off on making a port, you could get a team of people to actually make a homebrew port of it, and maybe add all the enhancements from the remaster to it. You just wouldn't be able to sell it and would have to release as a homebrew version only.

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#32 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:37 am

Technically you could port something by reverse engineering it... but that's difficult and raises copyright concerns.

And technically you could sell an open source engine which was ported to Dreamcast, just not the music, sound effects, levels, images, videos, etc. that are the data assets which exist outside of the open-sourced engine. But when people buy games, they are paying for the ability to run the game and the convenience of running it without technical steps like combining a scrambled binary with a commercial game's data and compiling that into a CD image that can be burnt at home.

As to Arcade Racing Legend, I am intrigued, just as I was intrigued by 4x4 Jam's Dreamcast port. However, I am not willing to pay $40 for a port of 4x4 Jam, a game that costs $7 on PSP and is free-to-play ($0) on Android and iOS. Even the in-app purchase(s) for Android and iOS only run from $1 - $4, so let's call either port a $4 purchase. Considering these, I'd be willing to pay $15 - $25 USD for 4x4 Jam, no more.

For Arcade Racing Legend, I'd say $20 - $30 seems fair to me. I can't say whether that's "really fair" or not, but personally I can't justify paying more than that considering all of the affordable professional and indie commercial Dreamcast games available as well as the free homebrew releases. I encourage this release and others like it to continue to be made. However, just like the "expensive European indie Dreamcast games," I am torn over the price. If I were to buy Arcade Racing Legend, then I'd probably wait until it was available for shipping instead of pre-ordering it. While JoshProd has been reliable in developing and shipping what he promotes, all of these other "infinitely delayed," "radio silenced," or outright cancelled Dreamcast indie releases have me gun-shy about paying in advance for their release(s).

Positively Ralf
shadow

Post#33 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:05 pm

So If I were to want to try to port over a game like Abuse, which is in the public domain, with updated visuals and enhancements, I would not be able to sell it unless I remove everything original?

I'm going to have to start a thread.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#34 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:28 pm

You need to own the license for the game if you are trying to sell and profit from it. So like, say you wanted to see a port of Turok for the DC, you need to go to the rights holders which is currently Night Dive Studios and pay them to port it or something. However, Abuse is a free game, so you can just make a homebrew port of it and release for free and it is legal. That is a very popular homebrew game and on many systems such as the original Xbox. Not sure why we never seen a Dreamcast port.

And also let me make something clear if not fully understood yet. Games which are open sourced can be ported legally and released for the system as homebrew. If you wanted to do an Indie release of a game and profit, you still have to find the rights holders and make some deal with them. A lot of larger studios like ID Software might ignore you if you wanted to say, make an indie version of Doom or Quake 1 or 2.

So like said, looking for smaller true indie developers would be more realistic. I can't even count how many games JoshProd has brought over to the DC now in the past 3 or so years he has been operating. The ports are starting to get more serious and advanced, so it is hopeful he or somebody like yourself could be the first to bring over legit FPS titles. I welcome more publishers so if you can get things off the ground and make stuff happen you will see more support from the community.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#35 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:53 am

Took me forever to find it (had to dig through the demo hex code for clues) but I finally found the game this is based on. It's "Racing Pro" for iOS.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/racing-pro/id583641493
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#36 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:52 am

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#37 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:03 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Took me forever to find it (had to dig through the demo hex code for clues) but I finally found the game this is based on. It's "Racing Pro" for iOS.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/racing-pro/id583641493

Nice job finding it. At least now we know what name to use when looking for gameplay footage.

What's weird is JoshProd recently gave DreamcastHub the beta build, and in the garage it has 'Drift Club Racer' as a logo. I thought that was the name of the mobile game.
DCR.jpg

Wonder where that came from then.

At least the original game had a decent reception if that means anything. =P

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#38 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:40 pm

They just released a demo for everybody to play, so it wasn't just to DreamcastHub.

Grab it here!

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/304822 ... 411/edd53c

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#39 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:42 pm

Anthony817 wrote:They just released a demo for everybody to play, so it wasn't just to DreamcastHub.

Grab it here!

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/304822 ... 411/edd53c

That build only has 1 car and 1 track. DreamcastHub got a build with 2 cars, 2 tracks and the menu.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#40 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:03 pm

Ah ok gotcha. I didn't even know there was any public demo out until I started digging around after seeing you guy's posts here. Nobody even came out and said anything about it other than PC saying he checked hex code from a demo. That made me think to look and see how that was possible without anything released publicly. Oh well I guess I need to stay more on top of these things then lol. But now others here who don't know can download and play it.

After playing it, not too bad, maybe needs a bit more optimization for a buttery smooth 60fps, but that is just nit picking, overall it seems too run over 30fps fine. Really excited for this game even more now after playing the demo.