Ports of Open Source Games and Programs I'd Like to See on Dreamcast

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Ports of Open Source Games and Programs I'd Like to See on Dreamcast

Post#11 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:03 pm

Kobo Deluxe is full of c++ And lots of un suppoted functions in newlib .. I ported all of it till that point nothing i can do for now..

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#12 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:33 pm

I'm still hoping to see this happen one day.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#13 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:06 am

I think it uses SDL2 I'm going to have to upgrade my GCC compiler and newlib . 4.7 last stable for kos.. just not going to cut it for C++

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#14 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:44 pm

Yep it was brought up in the past it wasn't possible until SDL2 was ported over to DC. I do hope it comes over eventually as it is a classic.

And I wonder what they meant by reward, sounds like a possibility for a legit retail release of the game could be possible if it was ported.

niuus
noob

Post#15 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:18 am

I would like to suggest the following game, hopefully it should be possible:
Captain Claw.
https://www.oldpcgaming.net/claw-review/
Genre: Action-platformer
There is also an Open Source engine reimplementation in the works: https://github.com/pjasicek/OpenClaw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRtLuQ3KN6A
Original system requirements: 486/33 MHz, 4MB RAM, DOS/Win

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#16 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:59 am

Captain Claw reminds me of Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure. I added two more games to the list:
OpenArena EX (C++ language with the OpenGL 1.x graphics API) - an FPS based on the id Tech 3 engine but with all-new visuals and sounds, making for a fully Free and open-source game!
Nexuiz 2.5 (C++ language with OpenGL) - an FPS based on the id Tech 3 engine but with all-new and bright visuals and sounds, making for a full conversion to a Free and open-source shooter!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#17 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:29 am

I have played both of those on PC about a decade ago when my gaming PC went kaput for a 2 year period and was stuck on a potato pc and had to save up to build another. Really fun games. Would love to see those on DC!

Here are some videos of them.

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#18 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:56 am

I added another game to the list:
OpenTTD (C language with SDL or Allegro) - a "tycoon" sim based on the ideas from Transport Tycoon Deluxe but re-implemented from scratch with all-new everything, making for a full open-source transportation management simulation!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#19 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:36 am

That reminds me! OpenRA is a project that recreates and modernizes the classic Command & Conquer real time strategy games. They have developed a flexible open source game engine (the OpenRA engine) that provides a common platform for rebuilding and reimagining classic 2D and 2.5D RTS games (the OpenRA mods).

https://www.openra.net/about/

leilei
shadow

Post#20 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:32 pm

Claw - that port uses SDL2, unsure if C11 etc. (also that game called for a Pentium w/ W95 minimum in 97, the 486 33 DOS requirement listed is misinformation)
OpenArena - assets are way too heavy so it's not possible
Nexuiz - same, especially as there's no LODs and the maps have a ton of geometry. It stresses 8th gen computers. There's also control adaptation issues with the needlessly complex mouse-driven menu system.
OpenTTD - could actually work, but there's that control issue, limiting play to the keyboard/mouse and the UI isn't very gamepad adaptable and would be very hard to read on 480i (the lowest min res the 1994 game was designed was 640x480 with loads of small pixel fonts and tiny window widgets)
OpenRA - that one's really CPU heavy and also has some annoying online dependency to function (it's designed more like a frontend that grabs data). Wouldn't be surprised if it also used SDL2

Think smaller scale and spec appropriate, like Kenta Cho's games....
Last edited by leilei on Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.