TARGET QUAKE 2D platformer RADQUAKE4.9 MAXSPEED Release and youtube video

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

TARGET QUAKE 2D platformer RADQUAKE4.9 MAXSPEED Release and youtube video

Post#1 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:45 pm

Hi, this is a cracking mod

i have modifyed it now to be a TC does not need anything else to run also custom grafix Powered by radquake 4.9 maxspeed coming soon with 640x480 mode as well.. This mod game was created by avtar read review below now fullspeed and fully playble on your dreamcast
I hope you enjoy it i think it's the best radquake version yet

The 640x480 version is now running about the same as 320x240 4.8 :) I have this same mod in 640x480 pvr rendering to come soon.. Full radquake4.9 max speed is coming soon it has tracebox and other things needed fo custom mods to work.. Runs custom game hack and slash and others airquake fullspeed..

Self boot CDI tested burned by me working
http://www.mediafire.com/file/41wl2ixt8 ... D.cdi/file
Features
-- Rumble pak and vmu saving
-- 44khz sound
--max fps 100
-- Max speed
--Fmv Intro menu
-- Custom loading and start screens for the mod
Src code
radmax4.9.7z
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 420 times

Youtube video running on real dreamcast hardware.. YAY have my real dreamcast up and running

Running on a real dreamcast

fmvmenu.png

intro.png

ingame.png

ingame2.png

COMING SOON 320x240 640x480 :)
main.png
main.png (77.98 KiB) Viewed 8364 times

main1.png
main1.png (103.94 KiB) Viewed 8359 times

Author: Avatar | Rating: 9.85 |

Target Quake is one of those rare mods that when you first read about it you think, “There’s no way that it’s been pulled off!”, but soon after you load it up you realize that not only was it pulled off, it is awesome. You begin in your base with a group of fellow slipgaters cheering you on. There are lines of text that they are saying but it can become difficult to read them all quick enough. Still, it has its bits of comedy that helps assit the, “fun”, mood of the game.

Weapons are done very different when compared to most Quake add-ons. You get just a few weapons that can be modified by power-ups. Be careful with the Thunder bolt because upon firing it throws you back a few steps and can push off a ledge.

Health is picked up by killing the Quake monsters and absorbing their life force that is seen as blue and white bubble above their corpses. Though not completely original, an interesting technique. Not to often did I have to actually worry about my health. Most of my deaths came from falling into lava.

The levels should be familiar to any side-scrolling fan. Personally, it felt like I was playing through some old Contra levels the majority of the game. Each level has it’s jump around theme consisting of jumping on disappearing steps or navigating your way through moving lifts over a huge lava pool. The Quake baddies are usually placed in the spot that gives you the most trouble. You will find yourself having to use a strategic plan to take these guys out. What I like to do is jump, and then shoot. Say it with me, “Jump, and then shoot.” Good!

Of course, the gameplay can become tiresome. You really get let down when you finish half the game and find out that you must go back and repeat the levels you just beat. This time around though there are new enemy placements and other added challenges. I would have liked to have seen more new levels with new challenges.

In conclusion, if you’ve been looking for something fun and new to play this mod will fullfill your wishes. A definite recommendation on this one.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: TARGET QUAKE 2D platformer RADQUAKE4.9 MAXSPEED Release and youtube video

Post#2 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:06 pm

This looks like fun Ian.
Very fast.
:)

I wonder if you could re-arrange the sort order of the files to possibly optimize loading time from cdr?
Maybe use isobuster filelist output from the original quake cd.
Folder tree and file info > list tree info in text file > LBA

Then view the filelist text to see how the quake disk is sorted.
Modify the filelist with your added quake mod files.
And run makesort.exe to generate a sort.txt file to use in mkisofs when building the image.
????
Attachments
makesort.rar
(4.36 KiB) Downloaded 357 times

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#3 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:20 pm

SMiTH wrote:This looks like fun Ian.
Very fast.
:)

I wonder if you could re-arrange the sort order of the files to possibly optimize loading time from cdr?
Maybe use isobuster filelist output from the original quake cd.
Folder tree and file info > list tree info in text file > LBA

Then view the filelist text to see how the quake disk is sorted.
Modify the filelist with your added quake mod files.
And run makesort.exe to generate a sort.txt file to use in mkisofs when building the image.
????

Now that sounds like a great idea thank you i will have to try this.. when i was doing this with emulator's the loading is instant on a cdr it's not or it's my old dreamcast lol.. i dont think so.. should be fast on a gdemu..

I have the 640x480 version ready to go tommorrow it's slower but still fast there be a menu for the main radquake engine to select 640x480 320x240 in the 4.9 max speed release.. I was suprized on real hardware the 640x480 render runs really well runs like crap on nulldc goes to show sometimes the dreamcast is a beast lol

640x480 screen shot
640x480intro1.png

640x480intro.png

640x480ingame.png

640x480ingame2.png

Looks more like this on real hardware framerate is above 25 most of the time the 320x240 is scaled to 640x480 but it hits 100fps at times
640x480ingame3.png

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:11 am

Holy shit you have outdone yourself this time Ian! Nice freaking work mate! a 30% improvement in performance? This is unbelievable! I can't believe how fast it is running in the video, very impressive!

Also glad to hear you got your DC up and running! You and Smith both right around the same time haha! Now you guys just need to look into grabbing a GDEMU clone for around $40-50. Will be such a huge quality of life upgrade for you. Nothing beats loading your games all from a nice front end menu. Wish we could reverse engineer a menu from the Dream on Demo disc menu, that was so nice and in 3D too.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:49 am

Break your ODDs nao I mean right NOW!!!!@#$@#

Jokes

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#6 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:23 pm

I will debut the 640x480 version tomorrow for people to try :) makes the speed normal and much better looking if thats your thing :)

bjankins1
blackout!

Post#7 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:37 am

I tried this tonight, although the load times are long, i seriously am intrigued by this engine and i wonder if anything quake related could be stripped and The engine could be used to make something new

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#8 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:03 am

bjankins1 wrote:I tried this tonight, although the load times are long, i seriously am intrigued by this engine and i wonder if anything quake related could be stripped and The engine could be used to make something new

It's still quake 1 engine you can do this with radquake right now when i release 5.0 it takes learning quake 1 mapping and modding and quake c .. you could make a game like this with it.. Since radquake supports rumble saving keyboard mouse etc

Big changes in this are engine limits.. But yeah you can do this with quake 1 engine with modding and mapping and quake c right now.. Thanks for trying it your reminding me of something else i need to get back to working on when i get a chance.. On gdemu loading is very fast still have to worry about cdr based people since not every one has one yet..

bjankins1
blackout!

Post#9 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:42 pm

A few questions Ian, would you be interested in updating target quake to 5.0 and would you be interested in compiling all of your RADQUAKE Releases into a zip file