Editing 2K Sports Games To Run on GDEMU

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

louiea
noob

Editing 2K Sports Games To Run on GDEMU

Post#1 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:36 am

Hello All - hopefully I am posting this in the correct forum.

Recently had an idea to try to extract files from the various 2K Sports games to edit rosters and update player photos in the game, then run the game off of the GDEMU. Could anyone help point me in the right direction of what tools I need to do so or has anyone ever attempted this before?

I know it has been done with 2K games for Xbox and PS, seems like it should be able to be done for Dreamcast.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: Editing 2K Sports Games To Run on GDEMU

Post#2 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:34 pm

here is a thread about modding 2k sports dc games:
http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/archi ... 79729.html

here is a thread about roster vmu saves:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11364

you could use japanese cake's gd-rom explorer to extract the .gdi data from track03.bin.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/6qpums8d3 ... 3.zip/file

*there are also scripts available for extracting .gdi files...

then for building the .gdi after you have modded files maybe try this? (i have never tried this b4)
https://projects.sappharad.com/tools/gdibuilder.html

*i think there are scripts available for building .gdi ??...

ppl have tried modding the roster for the nfl2k series on dc (editing the iso, not vmu save) in the past but eventually gave up on the projects.
i have always wanted to mod the uniforms, stadiums, etc. (basically add them from all the different nfl2k games)

my issue with the 2k sports games is trying to get them to boot as selfboot .cdi files for cd-r etc.
i have run into many issues doing this, i think the only way to do it properly since cd00 can't be found in hex (more than likely bin file is encrypted, not scrambled as descrambling does nothing)..is to add the main.bin file at the same LBA that was used in either the original echelon or kalisto release i do not remember...
1st_read is not the main bin file for the game.

have you ever wondered why no scene releases have ever been made of these games except the original kalisto, echelon releases? correct me if i am wrong and there are other releases???

now what might make all of this irrelevant is modding the .gdi and that way you would not need to bother with LBA and protections etc.

good luck with doing this mod..i would definitely be interested in playing a modded 2k game on dc.

JKD32332
rebel

Post#3 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:24 pm

I'm really trying to have NBA 2K1 modded on the Dreamcast. I want to change players positions (like make Vince Carter a small forward rather than a shooting guard), and give headbands to players (like Baron Davis and Darius Miles), etc. Is this possible? I was able to extract all the files from the .gdi NBA 2K1 file, but I don't know where to begin. Can anyone help me please?

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#4 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:41 pm

why 2k1 and not 2k2?

JKD32332
rebel

Post#5 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:56 pm

NBA 2K1 is my favorite Dreamcast 2K game and it was also one of my favorite seasons of the NBA (being the 2000-2001 season). The All-Star Game, the Playoffs, everything was awesome. So, I want to recreate that by changing player's positions and their numbers & gear. Their hairstyles too if I could mod that.

jlnhlfan
rebel

Post#6 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:58 pm

I want to mod NHL 2K and NHL 2K2 so that they can be set in an alternate universe where the teams exist, but not the players. Unfortunately, the guide linked here (http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/archi ... 79729.html) doesn't exist in its full form anymore, which leaves me without tools to help with the modding process.

jlnhlfan
rebel

Post#7 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:15 am

To make matters worse, I can't do anything with the disc files, as there won't be a way for any of the tools to open them.

jlnhlfan
rebel

Post#9 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:03 am

Thanks. I'm missing some way to extract the files, as my unarchiving tool is detecting them as unextractable.

stry8993
lithium

Post#10 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:20 am

To get the 2K Games with the different Year Rosters would be so awesome.