Quake 2 DC - Any good ports on DC?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

gamesreup
killer

Quake 2 DC - Any good ports on DC?

Post#1 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:51 am

Hi all, hope your all well and keeping safe aka gaming on the Dreamcast.

Does anyone know of a truly decent and complete Quake 2 port for the DC? I can't seem to find anything anywhere.

gamesreup

BananaXX
undertow

Re: Quake 2 DC - Any good ports on DC?

Post#2 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:03 am

I think only a very rough-draft of a port exists of Quake 2. If I remember correctly something about the Dreamcast's limited RAM prevented the full PC levels from making their way to the console. I remember someone kicking around the idea of a port utilizing the Playstation / N64 levels instead of the PC originals but nothing was done on that front that I know of.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#3 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:01 am

The PSX version running great with BleemShell for Gdemu. You can find it under viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12026
I got a Brook PS3/PS4 to DC controller, it maps the ABXY / X [] O /\ to the right analog stick, L2 R2 and Select are on the D-Pad.

Damn great performance and totally playable, only problem is no saving and some sound effect errors.

deluxux wrote:Added;
Quake 2
Plays near perfect. Patched with Mr2's Patch here: http://rgcorp.ucoz.net/load/cheat_patch ... 2/5-1-0-49
This Patch Skips the Intro adds new controls and Split Screen. New control buttons config Pick Option B

UP - look down
DOWN - look up
<- - look left
-> - look right
X - move back
[] - strafe left
O - strafe right
/\ - move forward
Standard B:

R1 - fire
R2 - next weapon
L1 - jump
L2 - previous weapon

All 3 Quake games playable on the Dreamcast now!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:40 pm

BananaXX wrote:I think only a very rough-draft of a port exists of Quake 2. If I remember correctly something about the Dreamcast's limited RAM prevented the full PC levels from making their way to the console. I remember someone kicking around the idea of a port utilizing the Playstation / N64 levels instead of the PC originals but nothing was done on that front that I know of.

Yep you are correct. It was I who suggested we swap out the levels for the console ports to save memory. They have to be the PC format though, and some teams actually worked on PSX and N64 ported levels for the PC version. The sound is currently disabled in the DC port as it would crash before the levels fully loaded but the PC levels do work with sound disabled, however Ian Michael could possibly maybe help us reenable it if we wanted to make a console focused mod for it. On PSX it is a bit different to the PC game, but largely similar. I play it from time to time on my PS3, but I use a modded ISO that remaps the controls to something more modern.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3145/

Here is the Quake 2 port by the way. It runs well actually, just no sound.

https://mega.nz/file/iENG0Y7a#gozf4GEx4 ... kmKsF81SUQ

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:11 am

gamesreup wrote:Hi all, hope your all well and keeping safe aka gaming on the Dreamcast.

Does anyone know of a truly decent and complete Quake 2 port for the DC? I can't seem to find anything anywhere.

gamesreup

Only version is bero's port with sound dis-abled but there is a chance it will get worked on soon

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:15 am

Wow that would be great if you could look into updating the port! It ran so well that it was a shame that the memory was the only limiting factor.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#7 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:56 am

Q2 was the peak of the franchise...

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#8 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:49 am

I have a rough draft of it on my hd just sitting. It's not ready for anything yet

Edit:

To clarify for those who might come later. This isn't a teaser. It isn't some mystery to figure out. The code does not do anything any of you would find interesting. There's no graphical output.

The game core itself loads and plays the demo.

If/when I ever get time I'll go back to it but really don't ever expect anything
Last edited by mrneo240 on Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:41 am

Nice, something can be done with this at least with the other console levels, if not with the original. Just remember, if you need it, there are ports from the console levels on PC if it must be used. The way many FPS games were done on DC is they were cut up to fit in the memory. But you guys already know this.