New SEGAGAGA translation project in the works!

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

madsheep
rebel

Re: New SEGAGAGA translation project in the works!

Post#41 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:05 pm

Rolly wrote:If anyone is interested - jde6r8hed released a patch for GDI that unlocks DEBUG MENU for SEGAGAGA ;)
Download link : https://11.gigafile.nu/1204-bd375e7f86a ... a7d346f919
Password to download and zip archive : SGGG

Credits to : https://twitter.com/jde6r8hed/status/14 ... 0335584257

file is deleted please reupload it if you can thanks

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#42 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:19 am

madsheep wrote:file is deleted please reupload it if you can thanks

Here's the xdelta for use with the TOSEC GDI (filename SGGG - Segagaga v1.022 (2001)(Sega)(JP)[!]).

SEGAGAGA_DEBUG_MENU_track03.xdelta
Download link removed per author's request. Available elsewhere.

Credit: https://twitter.com/jde6r8hed
Last edited by ateam on Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

madsheep
rebel

Post#43 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:07 pm

Thanks, i just uploaded it here as attachment because it is so small so it can be preserved!
Credits to: jde6r8hed https://twitter.com/jde6r8hed/status/14 ... 0335584257
Attachments
SEGAGAGA_DEBUG_MENU_track03.7z
(461 Bytes) Downloaded 109 times
Last edited by madsheep on Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggestsonicfan
noob

Post#44 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:59 am

Hi, I'm fairly certain the author of the patch saw this. Because they saw their patch redistributed, they will not be releasing any more patches in the foreseeable future, which is detrimental to Dreamcast research. :cry:

madsheep
rebel

Post#45 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:27 pm

We can delete the pach but i don't understand the problem...
Edit: i think he wants to be mentioned as the author of the patch, this is respected

biggestsonicfan
noob

Post#46 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:52 pm

I talked to them (via online translator magic) and it appears they were more miffed about it being redistributed without credit on discord. Oof.

I think it's their wishes that these things, sadly, simply expire, never to be used by anyone new after the 7 day upload link self destructs. In their text files distributed with Patch.7z it states: ◎ About distribution "Redistribution is prohibited." ◎ Creator jde6r8hed. I feel that if it came to it, reversing the differences in the patch might have been more acceptable by the author, but they are just being extremely protective of their works, hence all the passwording, the "Redistribution is prohibited." disclaimer, and self-destructing links.

What's out there is out there now and what jde6r8hed decides to do going forward can't be changed by our actions now.

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#47 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:58 pm

To each their own, but to develop game patches and not expect them to be redistributed and preserved by others on the internet is, to me, quite naïve. I also understand that Western and Eastern sentiments on this sort of thing can differ, and there are often clashes in ideology between Japanese and Western developers.

That being said, unlocking a debug menu in a game is no small feat. Yet at the same time, we see people like my friend VincentNL doing research on this very topic (among others) and openly sharing it with the community. In my opinion, hording knowledge isn't just selfish, but it also prevents the wider scene from producing new things. The little bit of Dreamcast reverse-engineering/hacking I've been able to share with others has directly resulted in there being more cool stuff for me to enjoy. In essence, this is what a community is all about. It's circular.

I'll close with saying that NOBODY (and that means jde6r8hed too) owes anyone else (including us) a damn thing. If they choose to lock their work way behind self-expiring links, etc., then that's entirely within their right. Choosing how, and to whom, your work is stored/shared is not something any of us can dictate. That freedom, on the other side of the coin, also means that without being protected by some kind of law, nobody can expect the wider internet not to preserve/redistribute their work. We've all been around long enough to know how this works.

Personally, I had no recollection of where the debug menu patch I shared even came from, let alone who should receive credit. This also means I had zero clue it might've gone directly against the patch authors wishes. As a community (comprised of individuals), we can also choose to respect the wishes of others. Too late now, though.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#48 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:33 pm

ateam wrote:To each their own, but to develop game patches and not expect them to be redistributed and preserved by others on the internet is, to me, quite naïve. I also understand that Western and Eastern sentiments on this sort of thing can differ, and there are often clashes in ideology between Japanese and Western developers.

That being said, unlocking a debug menu in a game is no small feat. Yet at the same time, we see people like my friend VincentNL doing research on this very topic (among others) and openly sharing it with the community. In my opinion, hording knowledge isn't just selfish, but it also prevents the wider scene from producing new things. The little bit of Dreamcast reverse-engineering/hacking I've been able to share with others has directly resulted in there being more cool stuff for me to enjoy. In essence, this is what a community is all about. It's circular.

I'll close with saying that NOBODY (and that means jde6r8hed too) owes anyone else (including us) a damn thing. If they choose to lock their work way behind self-expiring links, etc., then that's entirely within their right. Choosing how, and to whom, your work is stored/shared is not something any of us can dictate. That freedom, on the other side of the coin, also means that without being protected by some kind of law, nobody can expect the wider internet not to preserve/redistribute their work. We've all been around long enough to know how this works.

Personally, I had no recollection of where the debug menu patch I shared even came from, let alone who should receive credit. This also means I had zero clue it might've gone directly against the patch authors wishes. As a community (comprised of individuals), we can also choose to respect the wishes of others. Too late now, though.

Why did the author even post it if it's not to be distributed? SMH

biggestsonicfan
noob

Post#49 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:22 pm

And they did read this, locked their twitter, and have explicitly stated they will no longer be releasing anything in the future. You did not need to exacerbate the situation like this.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#50 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:17 pm

biggestsonicfan wrote:And they did read this, locked their twitter, and have explicitly stated they will no longer be releasing anything in the future. You did not need to exacerbate the situation like this.

Rolly gave credit to the author in his post and Madsheep changed his post to give credit as well. What the author does with their twitter account and dreamcast work is their choice. I personally agree with ateam. We are in a retro community for a 23 year old console. A debug patch is an incredible feat. Why not share that with the community? It isn't nuclear launch codes. Once you put something out into the internet it goes everywhere and can be hard to control. If the author wanted their twitter account to be the exclusive place to get the patch then they should have stated as much. If the patch was an unfinished version they should have stated as much. Since I can't see the original post I am assuming it was a final. Good luck to them in their future endeavors.