Terraonion MODE Dreamcast & Saturn FPGA ODE

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Greg2600
dark night

Terraonion MODE Dreamcast & Saturn FPGA ODE

Post#1 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:24 pm

https://shop.terraonion.com/en/home/17- ... n_ODE.html

Fully compatible with ALL revisions on both systems! Full 21st century menu GUI!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVpnjd8QVks&t=251s

Pre-order (Currently estimated to ship in late-June/early-July)

Introducing MODE (Multi Optical Disc Emulator) for SEGA Saturn & Dreamcast!

•Auto region patching (loads games from different regions without patching games)
• Auto detects the console it's plugged into. No jumpers to configure.
• SATA 2.5 HDD compatible with exfat (works with both hard drives and SSD drives)
• MicroSD
• USB for USB thumbdrives and powered USB hard drives

100% compatible with all Saturn and Dreamcast games!

• Compatible with Redump and Tosec images (for both Dreamcast/Saturn)
• Compatible with CDI, GDI, CCD, MDF, bin/iso+cue images
• Plug and play, no soldering required!
• 2 User interfaces: Simple list view and Advanced Cover Art
• Supports multiple Disc games
• Zero seek times providing faster load times
• Supports Mpeg card, ActionReplay/PseudoSaturnKai, Saturn RAM cart compatible
• DC Digital, DreamPSU and PicoPSU compatible
Last edited by Greg2600 on Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: Terraonion MODE Dreamcast & Saturn FPGA ODE

Post#2 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:45 am

Really impressive, like other system we'll look about compatibility.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#3 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:46 am

For the saturn i love one :) it loads bin+cue which the other ode does not... still not sure if it plays correct deepfear or the other 36 pal only games other ODE dont play them correct screen is cut off other problems..

Rolly
letterbomb

Post#4 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:59 am

It promises to be a fantastic piece of equipment for fans of Dreamcast and Saturn consoles.
No firmware change, no soldering. Love this :)
Maybe we can finally do something about GDEMU's monopoly and supply problems.

Krootox1986
letterbomb

Post#5 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:41 am

Looks incredible. I was on the fence about getting a new xbox for Xmas but I honestly think I'd rather have a MODE

Greg2600
dark night

Post#6 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:16 pm

Rolly wrote:It promises to be a fantastic piece of equipment for fans of Dreamcast and Saturn consoles.
No firmware change, no soldering. Love this :)
Maybe we can finally do something about GDEMU's monopoly and supply problems.

GDEMU guy is dunzo, on DC and Saturn. Between the China clones on the GDEMU, and the Fenrir, Satiator, and now this for Saturn (and DC).

As for compatibility, it works on all consoles, but for games I imagine if it's not already, they will get there quickly.

NightBreeze
fire

Post#7 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:28 pm

I’m a bit vary about terraonion. There was a lot of drama with the MegaSD and multiple revisions and customers stuck with poor quality hardware, or so I’ve read.

I’m also disliking the 2-in-1. Not seeing what merging Saturn and Dreamcast brings to the table. Would make more sense to me to create hardware that fits one console really well, but then the pictures don’t really show how it will sit in a Saturn so my gripes may very well be off base.

Either way, more options is good and it will be interesting to see reviews once people get their hands on it.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:05 am

in Madlittlepixel's video you can see it in a Saturn and DC.

Greg2600
dark night

Post#9 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:12 pm

NightBreeze wrote:I’m a bit vary about terraonion. There was a lot of drama with the MegaSD and multiple revisions and customers stuck with poor quality hardware, or so I’ve read.

I’m also disliking the 2-in-1. Not seeing what merging Saturn and Dreamcast brings to the table. Would make more sense to me to create hardware that fits one console really well, but then the pictures don’t really show how it will sit in a Saturn so my gripes may very well be off base.

Either way, more options is good and it will be interesting to see reviews once people get their hands on it.

There was some issues early on with the Super SD System 3, which they resolved, but Mega SD I thought was pretty smooth. People also screamed because the owner moved to Andorra, and some countries who force their citizens to pay large duties got destroyed on that. Brazil was one.

As Anthony said, the fit is really good and these are prototypes, the final boards will fit better in both systems. The reason they are using the same hardware for both systems is obvious, manufacturer cost is shared across both platforms, and many people will want two of them.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:55 pm

Yep, like mentioned before in another thread about this, if they already developed it for Saturn, very little more research and development would need to go into making it compatible with the Dreamcast. This is a single FPGA device after all, damn near 200mhz, so it can handle a lot more than just a single system. It is more cost effective to offer a single SKU because it will entice not only owners of a Saturn, but also Dreamcast. Sure there is some overlap but that is a good thing. Not only that, but it offers 3 different storage medium options in a single device, which is the huge appeal on top of working on both Sega consoles.