Adapter for MAPLE (Release)

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

ferreira3500
shadow

Re: Adapter for MAPLE (Release)

Post#31 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:53 pm

Do you know the snes controller adapter for phillips cd-i?Can i adapt the atmega to use your project?and merge the code in one?and instead of a saturn adapter put a snes one?what is the best way to adapt to use the dreamcast controller on pc?sorry to bother you with a lot of questions,i feel that your project have a huge potencial for more things,cheers

megavolt85
Developer

Post#32 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:21 pm

ferreira3500 wrote:Do you know the snes controller adapter for phillips cd-i?

no, I never had these consoles or controllers

ferreira3500 wrote:Can i adapt the atmega to use your project?

I had to write MAPLE BUS processing in assembler, so that the ARM processor with a frequency of 72 MHz could receive data from the console
none of the cheap ATMEL processors is capable of this

ferreira3500 wrote:and instead of a saturn adapter put a snes one?

the SNES controller has very few buttons for standard games and it is not convenient for fighting games, I see no reason to connect it to the Dreamcast
the most convenient controller for standard games is the controller from the Game Cube

ferreira3500 wrote:what is the best way to adapt to use the dreamcast controller on pc?

the easiest way is to use a driver from a PC vibration controller
and of course, it is best to use a processor with a hardware USB, STM32F103 is perfect and it is very cheap

ferreira3500
shadow

Post#33 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:11 pm

Man,you are great,thanks for the answers,i will see if i buy some cheap STM32F103C8T6 , and the ps2 female sockets and the sega megadrive/genesis too,cheers

megavolt85
Developer

Post#34 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:26 pm

ferreira3500 wrote:and the ps2 female sockets

actually the PlayStation controller is not that good, it has a terrible DAC
I compared the original PS and PS2 controllers with the Chinese copy of the Nintendo Game Cube controller and it turned out to be better
a little later I will update the circuit and firmware, the latest version supports the NGC controller

s_d_a_i
undertow

Re: Adapter for MAPLE (WIP)

Post#35 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:36 am

K470r wrote:Megavolt85, I think it is a good idea to open a donation so that we can support your projects.

On the other hand, is it possible to connect a Joystick module like this to your project ?:

Hi Megavolt85, I'm trying to make an arcade stick too with this layout, have you got a firmware version with only direct switches to ground mapping?

dc_joystick.png

Thank you!

megavolt85
Developer

Post#36 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:51 pm

s_d_a_i wrote:Hi Megavolt85, I'm trying to make an arcade stick too with this layout, have you got a firmware version with only direct switches to ground mapping?

at the moment there is only firmware for connecting controllers from other consoles

I will easily make a firmware for an arcade controller, but I need more information on what kind of functionality you are interested in

1) do you need VMU emulation?
2) Do you need a standard controller mode or is one arcade mode enough?
3) what is the principle of the stick? shorting four wires to ground depending on the position?

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#37 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:32 pm

Great work this gives the Dreamcast an endless supply of controllers!

s_d_a_i
undertow

Post#38 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:49 am

megavolt85 wrote:
s_d_a_i wrote:Hi Megavolt85, I'm trying to make an arcade stick too with this layout, have you got a firmware version with only direct switches to ground mapping?

at the moment there is only firmware for connecting controllers from other consoles

I will easily make a firmware for an arcade controller, but I need more information on what kind of functionality you are interested in

1) do you need VMU emulation?
2) Do you need a standard controller mode or is one arcade mode enough?
3) what is the principle of the stick? shorting four wires to ground depending on the position?

Hi megavolt85,

I love what you did with the savegames on the SPI memory, so this functionality is a big yes.
The only change will be a mapping for each pin to a switch for, UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT A B X Y Z C L R and START, no other controller conversion required, just like the old arcade machines, they use switches to ground (I think L and R buttons are converted to Z and C in the joystick photos I've seen on Internet, sorry I only have a real controller, not a DC joystick to compare).

Thank you!

s_d_a_i
undertow

Post#39 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:46 am

Sorry for the double post, I've just confirmed from the manual:

arstick.png
arstick.png (6.13 KiB) Viewed 8377 times

The Dreamcast arcade stick only exposes butons: Ra (right), Da (down), Ua (up), La (left), S (start), A, B, C, X, Y, Z

Btw, have you got a Patreon? I would love to see the open Dreamcast stick for everyone.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#40 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:39 pm

Arcade Stick

Hot keys:
A + B + START + Left / Right - Prev/Next VMU bank

Code: Select all

M25PE16     STM
1 CS    -> PA_15
2 MISO  -> PB_4
3 WP    -> +3.3V
4 Vss   -> GND
5 MOSI  -> PB_5
6 SCK   -> PB_3
7 Reset -> +3.3V
8 Vcc   -> +3.3V

Resistor 10 KOm to PB_4 and +3.3V

Buttons       STM
RIGHT     -> PA_7
LEFT      -> PA_6
DOWN      -> PA_5
UP        -> PA_4
START     -> PA_3
A         -> PA_2
B         -> PA_1
C         -> PA_0
X         -> PB_12
Y         -> PB_11
Z         -> PB_10

DC         STM
1 SDCKA -> PB_8
2 Vcc   -> +5V
3 GND   -> GND
4 Sense -> GND
5 SDCKB -> PB_9

Set jumper BOOT1 for enter to USB Mode (manage virtual VMU)

ArcadeStick.7z
(9.21 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
Last edited by megavolt85 on Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.