Super Mario 64 Port for Dreamcast is possible ?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Super Mario 64 Port for Dreamcast is possible ?

Post#41 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:22 am

Also the fact sound has to be running for it to work even if it's null.. i doubt this run faster then the n64 emulator i have which runs mario64 at 10fps with no sound

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#42 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:58 am

I think there's a big difference between trying to emulate the N64 hardware which will never ever reach anything in a playable state (let alone with audio).

But the SM64ex port with the GL 1.3 renderer should be doable with quite some porting and optimizing of course.
Given that the base ROM is only 8megs large, I can't imagine the assets being larger than that.
I guess it comes down to the engine and external libraries which will require heavy optimizing and shrinking.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#43 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:18 pm

Yeah problem is has to all be in ram on start up till you redo most of it.. thats not a small task at all port psp port using 13 mb just for the engine that not assets just the engine ... Having a little look into it still doubt it run any were better then the emulator as it not flying on a 300mhz psp Assets are in a compressed format in the rom that makes them appear small.. 13+about 8 dont fit right now with simple math

NeoSnk
Outtrigger

Post#44 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:50 pm

The game is almost 100% on PS2! I really wish we can get it on Dreamcast too :lol:
For tutorials and homebrews access Titan Game Studios: https://titangamestudioscom.wordpress.com/
For interviews and gameplay support me on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@NaiAdventure/featured

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#45 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:39 am

I have faith somebody can get it working in the community. There is even a DOS port now, maybe that port can be used for a DC port haha?

NeoSnk
Outtrigger

Post#46 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:14 pm

Anthony817 wrote:I have faith somebody can get it working in the community. There is even a DOS port now, maybe that port can be used for a DC port haha?

Mmmm. This computer has the following setup:

This computer is a 200mhz Pentium MMX with 128MB of RAM, an S3 ViRGE video card and a Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo 1 card. Also using a CT1770 Sound Blaster 16.

And it is running very slow compared to the PS2, maybe it is harder than we think.
For tutorials and homebrews access Titan Game Studios: https://titangamestudioscom.wordpress.com/
For interviews and gameplay support me on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@NaiAdventure/featured

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#47 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:58 pm

Dos port is running about what i expect on the dreamcast it be slower on the dreamcast with no sound add sound it be much slower sound mixing is done on the sh4 so when you do that more like a 166mhz cpu with cache stalls

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#48 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:30 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:Dos port is running about what i expect on the dreamcast it be slower on the dreamcast with no sound add sound it be much slower sound mixing is done on the sh4 so when you do that more like a 166mhz cpu with cache stalls

Thats only if you go thru gldc/kos right? Hypothetically if you use the katana sdk and refactor the code to how the dreamcast works you could end up with a 60fps port. I guess what iam saying unless someone actually puts in that much to completely rework the code and maybe some assets (audio) its going to be less than satisfactory. I cant picture anyone taking up this task.

The sh4 is faster than a pentium 2 forget pentium 1. I remember some devs mentioned it compared favorably to pentium 3 even if it cant match in all fields.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#49 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:23 pm

Sh4 if used with out sh4 math is quite slow.. but your right in reworking the code to use it's fastmath it be faster.. Not really katana going to do anything .. i would think with some sh4 asm with gldc it be as fast as katana pretty much is.. Sound is the problem we have no dsp code running on it very slow system to sound ram..

Yes reworking the whole thing i dont see why you could not get 30fps with sound be doing-able.. might get 60fps like you said.. going to try port it when i get the coders cable not going to make it run like that be just to get it running if i can be up to sh4 math wizard to do the rest

Got remember the pvr does not have the same depth of field other things missing no lighting ether thats all software thats katana or gldc..

I think if i did get a port going it be no sound.. even thou the sound still has to run to make it work.. it be null maybe 15fps no optimizing..

Quite a lot rendering bugs all over the place..

Not expert at opengl just starting to learn it

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#50 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:06 pm

Good news is that Mario is meant to run at 30fps.