Arcade Racing Legends Review! First footage of final version.

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Re: Arcade Racing Legends Review! First footage of final version.

Post#161 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:01 pm

Wrath of Khan wrote:I ordered it over a month ago. Have not received anything yet.

I think most of the posts regarding the game have been from Kickstarter backers. Even now, I wouldn't be surprised if JoshProd is still taking their sweet time shipping out the retail release.

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#162 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:18 pm

Real question. Can anyone save their damn game? I have 50 blocks free on a Performance 4x card, and it always fails to save. Can't be telling me I HAVE to use a VMU on this game.

livingonwheels
lithium

Post#163 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:24 pm

It automatically saves after each Arcade or career race. I use an official VMU. I also have a Performance memory card, but it doesn’t work with all my Dreamcast games.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#164 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:39 pm

My favorite part of Adam's review is how I've been watching it for about 9 minutes now and he's still barely even talked about the game itself yet.

As for my impressions on the game itself (which I haven't played), it looks okay I guess. It's great to see a 3D indie release for once, and it looks and runs acceptably, but it doesn't really seem to stand out for much besides that, especially when the DC already had some really good arcade racers. And that's before taking into account many of the issues that others have mentioned, like the major glitches and lack of actual AI.

If it were an official release back in the day, it seems like the kind of game that I'd happily buy used for a few bucks and spend a short amount of time playing. But as a $40 game with a seemingly limited release, I doubt it's going to come to that.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#165 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:42 pm

Adam is a really cool guy. He helped me out a lot when I first started out on YouTube. I don't believe he was being dishonest at all about the game in his video. He was more neutral than anything. More of a "Here's the game. Judge for yourself." type of thing than an actual review. I don't think I've ever heard Adam say anything negative about a Dreamcast indie game whether he received it for free or not. He's just very enthusiastic about anything new that comes along for the Dreamcast.

In any case, The Dreamcast Junkyard just put up an excellent review of the game:
http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2 ... gends.html

I think it sums it up perfectly from what I've heard and seen about the game.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#166 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:58 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:I don't think I've ever heard Adam say anything negative about a Dreamcast indie game whether he received it for free or not. He's just very enthusiastic about anything new that comes along for the Dreamcast.

Exactly, he has always been very happy to get every single new game for the system. So I guess people can be kind of harsh about him sometimes since he is happy to just get any new games, and isn't particularly nitpicking about each new indie games issues. I been watching his stuff for literally over 10 years now. He used to ask me to post his latest videos on DCISOZONE for him when it was literally still called that, so that will tell you how far ago it was. :lol:

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#167 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:22 am

In a way, I can understand Adam's approach. It's not exactly fair to insult a handful of people who pursued the development of a wholly new game for our beloved 20-year-old console instead of a modern title that they could easily sell on Steam, the Playstation and Xbox stores, or even mobile platforms, etc.

At the same time, no product is free from critique. I definitely found DCJY's review to be pretty concise about the upsides and downsides without fully dumping on the product. The fact that player 2 cannot win is grating, but I doubt we would have spent much time playing this game multiplayer anyway. I'm convinced if we had gotten to the milestone for them to implement online play, this game wouldn't have made the 2020 release window.

The game was backed on Kickstarter, and it's in the hands of backers, and soon to digital retail. They at least delivered a product, and it's a solid set of vehicles and venues, while being pretty unoffensive. That's worth the applause to me.

qupe75
photon blast

Post#168 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:32 am

WedgeStratos wrote:In a way, I can understand Adam's approach. It's not exactly fair to insult a handful of people who pursued the development of a wholly new game for our beloved 20-year-old console instead of a modern title that they could easily sell on Steam, the Playstation and Xbox stores, or even mobile platforms, etc.

At the same time, no product is free from critique. I definitely found DCJY's review to be pretty concise about the upsides and downsides without fully dumping on the product. The fact that player 2 cannot win is grating, but I doubt we would have spent much time playing this game multiplayer anyway. I'm convinced if we had gotten to the milestone for them to implement online play, this game wouldn't have made the 2020 release window.

The game was backed on Kickstarter, and it's in the hands of backers, and soon to digital retail. They at least delivered a product, and it's a solid set of vehicles and venues, while being pretty unoffensive. That's worth the applause to me.

The thing with Adam's review is he got it for free.

I backed the game. I have issues with it for a fair few reasons, I've had save issues, lap time issues, the opposition stay on one route and don't move from it....Also as backers we didn't all get what we backed so were sold short again there.

The vehicles may look different but there is no difference in their speed. All vehicles have a top speed of 196. It just feels like the last part of the game was rushed and they let some silly bugs and issues get through. I like racing games but this one doesn't make me want to go back and there is no incentive to once complete, which takes under 2 hours. I think DCJY hit the nail on the head with a few points.... it's just DULL.

Joshprod are doing a version of this game for the some of the current gen machines so no doubt you'll see improvements, hopefully they'll give it that injection of excitement it needs.

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#169 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:18 pm

My first impressions are very favourable. I really like the handling model, the graphics are solid, so far the game runs smooth and its a dc 3d racer. A sequel can only be better with the now existing game engine.

Woodneeded
undertow

Post#170 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:58 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Adam is a really cool guy. He helped me out a lot when I first started out on YouTube. I don't believe he was being dishonest at all about the game in his video. He was more neutral than anything. More of a "Here's the game. Judge for yourself." type of thing than an actual review. I don't think I've ever heard Adam say anything negative about a Dreamcast indie game whether he received it for free or not. He's just very enthusiastic about anything new that comes along for the Dreamcast.

In any case, The Dreamcast Junkyard just put up an excellent review of the game:
http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2 ... gends.html

I think it sums it up perfectly from what I've heard and seen about the game.

A little bit of push back on the "Here's the game judge for yourself" comment. Adam does say he recommends checking it out and calls the game an authentic dreamcast experience. I feel like those statements go a little beyond judge for yourself. I think if he left those out of the video I wouldn't have much of a problem with what he said. His enthusiasm is great but I'd think he would be a little more aware that people might by this because he says fans of racing games should check it out and that he called it authentic. Maybe I'm splitting hairs here but I do think his word selection does matter.